Is it normal top feel the wood behind the 1912 back rest?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Is it normal top feel the wood behind the 1912 back rest?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

is it normal to feel the wood behind the 1912 back rest?

I am about to tack on the back rest for a 1912 touring. There are no springs there so what keeps the passenger from feeling the wood slats? The white padding does not seem to be enough.

Is it common just to put extra padding there? I have some left over from the seat spring I might use.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

Use at least 2" cotton batting under the burlap layer. The cushions are stuffed with horse hair. You should not feel any of the wood when sitting in the seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

I just did the seat on my '14 Runabout and it also does not have a spring. I tripled the padding by first laying up sheet padding over the frame and then I used cotton stuffing over that until I got the desired padding. I tacked the upholstery at the bottom first and kept adding stuffing and pulling it up in place until It was the way I wanted it. Finally, I rolled the cotton padding that comes with the kit over at the top so it was double thickness right where the upholstery goes over the tack strip. Just don't stuff it so much that the seat cushion will not fit. I kept putting the seat cushion in place as I stuffed the back until I got it the way I wanted. It took a lot of time to get it right and the worst part is in the corners where I needed to do a lot of stuffing too get out the creases and make it lay right. I would rather fit bearings than upholster any day of the week!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 04:00 pm:

Thank you Royce and Val. That helped.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration