Inflation and Model T parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Inflation and Model T parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

I am always amazed at the cost of things these days. My wife says its because I'm living in the past ;o)

Just for fun I looked up the inflation rates back during the Model T era. This is what I found:

A 1913 dollar would buy about $24 worth of goods today

A 1927 dollar would buy about $14 worth of goods today.

Taking 20 X as a rough average I wonder how much some of those "cheap" T parts from back in the day would cost today ?

For reference my 15 touring cost somewhere around $490 in 1915. The inflation rate for 1915 was about X23 making todays price about $11,270. Still sounds cheap to me !!!

(Message edited by schuh on November 21, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

Here are three items followed by their prices in August 1928 and today.

exhaust manifold........................$1.35.....$83.95

left side outer Timken bearing......65.....$75.00

U-joint........................................$2.50.....$99.95

These parts have inflated a lot more than other products because the market for them today is much smaller. Everybody bought food in 1928, and everybody buys food now. Very few people buy Model T parts now.

I get sticker shock too, but it's selective. I may buy a bag of M&M's, but I won't buy a candy bar. There's just something about paying a dollar or two for something I used to get for a nickel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

U-joint at swap meet, like new, if not new $10, maybe $20, lower prices found in boxes of "junk"
:-)
PS, I buy them when I find them, you never know when you're going to need one.
OTOH, Scat cranks vs. Ford. Oh well, win some, lose some! (But the Scat crank is better made than the original Ford one, so maybe apples & oranges)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

In my younger days, $.25 would get me into the movie theater Saturday afternoon for 4 hours or so of cartoons and westerns plus a candy bar.
And today????

I was happy to mow lawns in my neighborhood for $.25 an hour. Felt extremely wealthy when one customer paid me $.50 an hour.

These days, I cannot find teenagers to work for anything less than $25.00 per hour....if they will WORK at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

Well by golly when I was a not even a teenager I worked for a Farmer in the area of Mansfield Missouri for 50 cents and that included a noon lunch. This was in 1946,47, 48. I worked the threshing harvest sacking grain and then I graduated to pitching to the thresher, and again that included a big lunch. Just think 50 6cents and I had to walk to work and walk home when the day was done. The same farmer had me bucking bailed hay and loading it on the trailer and would haul it to the barn where there was help to unload and store it in the barn.

THOSE were the good ole' days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 09:51 am:

Model T parts and tools are nearly as good as gold bars in terms of maintaining their value.

Here are prices from the 1959 - 1962 catalog when Dad was in the T parts business. New old stock Hyatt roller bearings were worth $4.50 then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 10:04 am:

Again ... for reference, the inflation rate for 1962 is about 8X. So multiply everything in Royce's list by 8 and you get what those parts should cost today.

I'm not sure what many of the current prices are but I did check on a NOS spider and it's about $50. With normal inflation it would be $18.

So either Royce's dad was selling at very good prices or the "rareness factor" plays a big part.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration