What order does the chicken wire go on coupe top?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What order does the chicken wire go on coupe top?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Austin Baker on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

What order does the chicken wire go on coupe top?
I have the kit witch is white cloth, foam, and top material. And I got some chicken wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 06:02 pm:

Chicken wire goes around the chickens. Ford T's did not use any chicken wire. Model A's however did use the wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Ritchie on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

I thought the 26/27 may have had chicken wire, but could be that the roof was re-done at some time later.
Chicken wire is a very effective support and if you ain't going to see it, then it may still be worth considering.
I used in in my 26 T coupe and love it.
Infact I think the wire I used was the smaller holed stuff maybe known as bird wire...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

I'm not adding much except to say when I redid my coupe top I stapled chicken wire down, stapled canvas over that, then batting/foam and finally vinyl. I used staples in the batting but would recommend against it, as it leaves slight dimples in the finished product.

Ford never used chicken wire in T's but like Russell said it works well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Nave on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

The egg....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

I used chicken wire on my 24 Coupe and it made a nice smooth fit for the top roof material to lay on.
This is a improvement that works well and besides you cant see it.

Ford didn't use chicken wire on it originally but neither did Ford use the improved axle bearings, E-timers, roller bearings in the drive shaft housing, and the list goes on and on.

You cant see any of the above from the outside but they sure make a T get on down the road better.

My very humble opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Ritchie on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

Hear, hear!
I 2nd that...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

I do not use the foam but rather 1/2" felt, makes a much better pad and won't break down like foam. Do as you wish with the chicken wire. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

I would throw the foam away, doesn't look right when finished, and it does break down, as Keith mentioned. Go to a fabric place, get quilting Dacron. If it's too thick, no problem it will tear in layers so you can get the right amount. The stuff stays resilient for decades, and doesn't bunch up like the cotton sometimes does. If you want to hold down the edge, use some glue, not staples, which can "telegraph" through the finished top, as Michael found out.
If you're careful about putting in the wire, and don't let it touch the body, you can solder a wire to it, bring it down the cowl post & voila! a radio antenna (or if your a conspiracy theorist, ground it to the body and avoid being detected from above! :-)
If you bought a top kit, also throw away,(or better yet, give to a touring car owner) that hide-em welt they include and instead get some "fold-over" welt that is more authentic, and sheds water better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

David, where do you find the "fold-over" welt? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 11:14 pm:

I could buy it locally, but not everyone can, so check out on-line suppliers; Lang's has it as part number WELT-FO at $ .95 a foot.
Easy, huh? BTW, their catalog lists it as "The welting was used around the tops of closed cars. Nail it down and fold it over the head of the nails. Original style for all 1923-27 cars."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

Many thanks David. I sometimes have the darndest time finding things in the catalogs, especially online. I will check that out. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 03:30 am:

Glad to help out, and it might help me in the future, as someday I'll be doing my '26 tudor's roof & I think my "local supplier" has retired!
Oh, and being on dial-up, I have a hard time using online catalogs too! I feel your pain! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 06:04 am:

David, dial-up has nothing to do with it. They just don't put things where I think they should be! As of now, Mac's online catalog is a mess. I don't know, but it seems like the vendors are getting worse about not listing items in the index where they should be. I don't know how many times I have tried to find an item that I thought would be in a certain part of the index, only to find out, it wasn't. Many times, items that are related or similar are strung out over several pages, sometimes, not listed at all. Also, at least on the online sites, the descriptions are VERY vague, if not just misleading. The WELT-FO is just one example. There is no picture or drawing of it, and I just missed it. Maybe I'm just getting too old. No, that can't be it, it must be their fault! That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! Come on vendors, let's pay more attention to your listings! Not a rant, just some constructive criticism. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

Dave,
Oh, yes, that's a real problem too! I just typed in "Fold over Welting" in the Langs search engine & the WELT-FO showed up, along with a bunch of other stuff too! I tried the same thing with Yahoo and got a bunch of totally unrelated stuff!
AAARGH!!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration