'26-27 Rad mounting and hood shelves question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: '26-27 Rad mounting and hood shelves question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

I'm asking on behalf of my friend Jay Mauer who is following this thread on his smart phone. Jay is restoring a (probably American) '26 Touring. The illustrations below are from Lang's 2015 catalog.

Rad mounting hardware: No leather or rubber pad is shown for '26 -27... this surprises me as I have one on my own, but I gather no pad is correct?

Hood shelf blocks: Jay ordered some from a vendor and they look exactly like those in the Lang's catalog. However, they seem too thick by about 3/16" as supplied, they force the rad apron so high that there is vertical misalignment of the apron-crank-hole with the front motor mount. My '26 Canadian touring has the original wood blocks which are (now at least) much thinner, such that the hood shelf flanges just touch the fender sheet metal, and my apron and motor mount holes are aligned.

Should the repro hood shelf blocks be trimmed thinner or is there a better approach?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 03:42 am:

I've trimmed my repro hood shelf block thinner to make it fit. It's a very common experience with repro parts.. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 12:04 am:

Is the diagram wrong?? My original lower radiator apron*3977EBQ - has a large hole in it that fits the lower thimble prefectly. If you just use the stump to hold it then it would not fit would it? Please advise before I put my front end together this week.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 12:33 am:

I cut my own out of maple to the same specs as the old one and I have a Canadian Tudor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 05:22 am:

Travis - no, I don't think the diagram is wrong. See this thread with more about the radiator apron mounting: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/507203.html?1442012707

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 09:26 am:

I ran into that a couple of years ago. I had Lang's diagram and another supplied by a T-owning friend. One of the diagrams was wrong, but I can't remember which was correct. I'd go out and look at my T, but it is 1,500 miles away from me at the moment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:50 am:

If you have a sander, just sand a little at a time from the block until you get everything to fit. A good gauge of the fit is when the screw below the crank handle will fit straight into the spring mount.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration