Newbie question about timers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Newbie question about timers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

Am new and just acquired a '22 Runabout.
Which timer is best recommended:
TW Components Accurate T Timer or
Tip Top Anderson Timer or
Tip Top Electronic Timer.
Thank you for your advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

Jay i starting using the TW timer last year and love it,..I'm sure others will chime in about their favorites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

Cant go wrong with the anderson. It works great and it is a period correct accessory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 12:00 am:

My 1923 touring has a stock Ford roller timer and the 1915 roadster has a New Day. No complaints either way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 01:10 am:

I use the New Day on both of my T's, a 19 Touring and a 17 Depot Hack!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 01:48 am:

I have done 3K miles on my TW timer. Just removed it the other day and it is due for a new brush. It has been untouched all this time and I highly recommend it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 07:54 am:

Most guys I know shy away from the original Ford timer. The guys that do run them keep a pile on hand for spares. Most run either an ANCO timer or the TW timer. I opted to go with the TW timer and have had absolute flawless performance out of it. When I finish up my second engine, I'll order one for it too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 08:40 am:

Jay, asking for the best one is really open ended, kind of like asking for the best motor oil. You will get untold amounts of different responses.

When I first came to this site in 2005, the ANCO (Anderson) was the clear choice. Nowadays, many things have improved. In my reading posts here in recent years, it seems the TW and the E-timer have gained significant following now. The choice in the end is yours.

I personally bought a ANCO on this board recommendations as I mentioned above at the time. I like them, find them real easy to use, and easy to service if need be. I have them on two running engines and have another to go onto another project hopefully soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 08:50 am:

I bought a TW timer the first week Tony introduced them. I now have three. He's tweaked them a bit since original, easier to install, and they run just super.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 08:56 am:

TW timer is my choice and I have run just about every timer on the market.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 09:23 am:

It's very difficult to come across and actual Ford roller-timer in good condition. _Once upon a time, there was an elderly master craftsman who machined brand new parts from billet and rebuilt those timers, but he has passed away (and I was lucky enough to have been in the right place at the right time to purchase one of the last of his units). _There is a replica roller-timer available from the catalogs. _It is made of stamped steel instead of machined on a lathe, and like many of the Model T parts that are made overseas by cheap labor for the purpose of a reasonable purchase priceŚwell, you get what you pay for.

Today's reproduction Anderson timer is a copy of an excellent flapper-type design which, in its day, had a wonderful reputation. Still, there are plenty of guys who swear by the modern reproduction unit, so I wouldn't say anything derisive about it.

The TW timer is a relatively new, more less original design with a "brush" instead of a roller (I put brush in quotes because electrical brushes don't in any way resemble household brushes). _The brush in this unit is made of some kind of carbon composite, which suggests it should last a very long time before it wears down to the nub. _So far, this unit's reputation is golden and users reports are just about unanimous as to how much smoother it makes a Model T engine run. _When my present timer wears out, I'll be purchasing a TW timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

I've used rollers, Fords and several Tigers over the years, Anderson as well.

TW is my choice now in some of my T's and my recommendation to others, but I've learnt it is not maintenance free, you need to blow out the carbon dust every now and then and have a spare brush as well.

The best timer I use, in performance and 100% maintenance free, is the E timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Over the 13 years I've been driving my Model T, I've found the Anderson was the most mechanically durable and long lasting. I got nearly 10 years out of my first one. A limitation of the Anderson is that the timing changes as the contacts wears.
I later tried a TW. I found it to have better timing accuracy (especially important when the coils rare run on battery only), but with my particular example, I found the rate of wear to be high.
My favourite by far is the E-Timer. It is immune to mechanical wear and always provides perfect timing. Aside from that, the car just runs smoother with noticeably better low end torque. I like it because it's just a drop in replacement for the mechanical timers and looks identical.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

... and the Anderson will not take a backfire where others will.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

Thank you to everyone.
I'll go with the TW timer.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration