Original Style Exhaust Pipes for Purists Only!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Original Style Exhaust Pipes for Purists Only!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 11:42 pm:

For a long time I've wanted to reproduce the 21-27 exhaust pipe. The one I'm offering to our members is just like Henry made, and fits perfectly using your original parts. At the moment I don't have the resources to correctly stamp the muffler ends, and if you've noticed the replacements offered today, they look similar, but that is it. The are not the same, and since when did Ford use a muffler clamp? Ford used a method for the forward stop bead called an electric upset. I haven't been able to duplicate that, so we chose a different method which works equally as well, and requires about 15 minutes of sanding and filing with emory cloth, but will work equally as well as is. I have one on my '25 now, and it is perfect, and can not be told from the original. There are none of the kinks that are used in the current offerings either. They are just like Henry made them. They come with a pack nut, and will be quite a bit more money than what is currently being offered. Email me if interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

Larry, that is good news. I have been hoping someone would step up and start reproducing them. I was fortunate enough to find a usable original for my TT. There is no comparison to the repros. Will the vendors carry them eventually? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 03:34 am:

Larry,
Sounds wonderful--an item that has been needed for some time. I'll want at least one, but right now I can't swing it, what with a "new" engine for Linda's car, property taxes, etc. right now, but I can start saving up, so how much moola?
Thanks for doing this!
David D.
PS is an electric upset where they heat the tube electrically at one point and then press the end so the tube bulges out at that one point?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 03:46 am:

PS, this isn't just for purists, it's for anyone that wants a pipe the really fits!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 05:34 am:

David, you are so right! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

I saw the pipes in back of Larry's truck the other day, they are very nice. I want one Larry when you establish the price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

Does one need to find "original" stamped steel muffler pieces to go along with your new pipe ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 10:00 am:

Yes Steve. You will need to locate front and rear muffler ends, plus the rest of the parts needed, which are pictured in any of the late parts books. At the moment, I don't have the resources to have these parts stamped. If any of our members can help me on this, I'm listening. The pipes are $89.00 each plus shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Thanks Larry - nice to have the correct replacement pipe available !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 10:41 am:

Larry,

Might have been more effective to title this thread, "Original Style Exhaust Pipes for Purists". Nothing like saying what you really mean.

I don't need a pipe now, but I'll definitely get one of yours when the time comes.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

Price sounds good to me--yep a bit more than the "el cheapo" universal mis-fit ones out there right now, but these will FIT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Day on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 04:28 am:

Larry, I believe this is what you are describing. Find a cheap welding 'buzz box' on Craigslist (yeah, they go for cheap), rip the transformer out of it and along with some heavy wire and some internet help, can be had for a very attractive price. This thing has been rattling in the back of my head for years. Passing it on to you. If you or anyone knows a source for the flared end to fit an 'A' manifold setup without buying the whole pipe, I just need the that plus the first three inches back. Seems like an easy thing but, no. Not without a machinist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Day on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 04:28 am:

Whoops... Ha! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ipZ4vdivbU

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration