1926-27 spare tire carrier reassembly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1926-27 spare tire carrier reassembly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

My car has been apart for over a year and, as simple as this seems, I cannot remember the order of reassembly - it is so simple, I didn't take a before picture or write down the order. Duh.

Do the backing plates go first against the frame or does the spare tire carrier go first?

Also, for the life of me, I cannot find any lock washers to go with the nuts. Did it have lock washers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 01:44 am:

Jim, You've got a tudor with the gooseneck carrier, right? Just to clarify your questions, I don't know if my fordor has lock washers, but I do know it has castellated nuts with cotter pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 01:51 am:

Terry:

Yes, I have a Canadian tudor with the gooseneck and castle nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

I'm bumping this because I'm curious if mine is assembled correctly. I've always assumed the carrier goes up against the frame and then the plates go on after.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

Tom:

Yes, it does. After I played around with different options, that was the method I chose and it turns out I was correct. I confirmed that with a local Tacoma Club Member, Marty Pendriss. It goes the carrier, then the plates, then the nuts, then the cotter pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Don't know what Ford method was, but have always fitted the gooseneck to the U-bolts and up against the spring stack. Then added the plates and castle nuts.

Seems to be stronger that way, a lot of toggle on the gooseneck with the wheel and tire hanging off the back, the gooseneck flange is rather thin, and putting the plates over that flange, to sandwich the gooseneck, seems the engineering strength way.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration