Model T Wood Wheel Hub-Hub Cap Area Thread Size

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T Wood Wheel Hub-Hub Cap Area Thread Size
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 09:18 am:

I want to buy a thread chasing die for Model T wood wheel hubs and would like to know the original thread size and TPI?
If anyone knows (for sure) please post it here?
Ron The Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 09:36 am:

2 1/8" - 24 USF.

You can buy the thread chaser from Langs but it won't work if the damaged threads are anywhere except in the middle of the hub.

Lang's chaser:
https://www.modeltford.com/item/2815T.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 09:38 am:

Here's a better option that costs a couple hundred dollars:

http://www.nes.co.il/158905/Nes-3-11-4-5-Inches-32-128-mm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Smith Baxter MN on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 09:43 am:

Cheaper here.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/thread-repair-tool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 10:34 am:

I like Royce's better, it allows you to start the tool well back on good threads and work your way out to the buggered threads at the end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 11:11 am:

Thanks Royce (and Tom) for the partial print showing the original Ford thread size.
As Mark points out, a die is the wrong solution for this problem. The McMaster and Carr and NES tool look to be a usable solution.
I would kill to have a Stevens T-181 tool if it were available, but I doubt that is in my future. If anyone has one for sale please contact me.
Thanks again.
Ron Patterson
P.S. Royce, please include me in your Will.:-), till then I will ask your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 11:41 am:

The T-181 seems pretty rare. I've been looking for one at swap meets for years with no luck. Wayne Sheldon once told of making his own version of the Stevens T-181 on the cheap. It involved the use of a 3/8-24 dye broken apart and the pieces welded on a home-made clamp. Making one myself is on my wish list, but there are other priorities.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Palmisano on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

I have used this.
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-7402-Universal-Outside-Thread/dp/B0002SRGV6/ref=sr_1_5 ?ie=UTF8&qid=1448206759&sr=8-5&keywords=thread+chaser

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

Tom, that is the one I have, it works pretty well. Although hubs is all I've used it for, I like that it has a large assortment of interchangeable dies for use on other projects. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

To Ron And Royce: I had the problem mentioned about the beginning threads being the damaged problem area on the hub. I could not get the thread chase to work either. I mentioned this to an older, more experienced, friend who indicated he would like to try to make it work. A few days later, he called to say I could come to pick up my wheel. I asked how he was able to do it. He said it was easy. He put the chase in a vice and the wheel on top. He could balance the wheel on the chase to keep it even and the weight of the wheel kept enough pressure on the chase to allow it to start down the threads. Simple!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

Hey Ron,

Say the word and it's on its way to you.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 06:29 pm:

Hey Ron,

Christmas is coming early to Kentucky!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

If Ron doesn't take it, put my name on it, Bob !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

There is another way to get past damaged hubcap threads. When rescuing hubs from far gone wheels, I found a couple of back hubs with considerably less thread than the others. You don't need all the thread Henry provided just to hold the hubcap on. I could machine the first 1/4" of thread off from the outside end, getting rid of any damaged part, and removing hammer bruises from the outside face at the same time.

The same thing applies to front hubs, but a soft sealant may help to keep the grease contained.

As a stop gap, the first part of the thread can be removed with a file if the hub is still in the wheel.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

Bob C.
"the word"
You just made my day.
Ron Patterson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

Ron,

Packed and ready to go.

Be_Zero_Be

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration