1926 - 27 rear brake lining

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1926 - 27 rear brake lining
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 10:13 am:

Popeye has a large drum 1926 - 27 Ruckstell rear end. The rear brake linings were so thick that the brakes were always dragging. Has anyone used the lining replacement kit sold by all the T part vendors? I hate to spend $50 to find out the new stuff is too thick just like the stuff that came off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 10:21 am:

If you're talking about accessory brake linings, the "Green Gripper" lining material that I bought from Chaffin's for my AC brakes is 3/16 inch thick, how does that compare with what is on Popeye's brakes now?

:-)

(Message edited by cudaman on November 22, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 10:21 am:

Looking at Bob's web site I see they have the shoes for sale. Looks like steel lining riveted to the cast iron shoes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Royce, I've used the new lining without any problems. Do you think it could be that your brake shoes are simply bent?

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 10:27 am:

If you're talking about emergency brake linings, I bought a set of replacement linings for small drums from Lang's a year or so ago and they measure out to be a little over 1/8 inch thick, more specifically 0.15 inch. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 11:37 am:

I used the new lining and it doesn't drag at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

Royce, sounds like you need to check your shoes and drums for out of roundness. On anther idea, the late Ralph Ricks ran a bonded brake material that he had applied (glued?) to his 26-27 rear brake shoes by a shop in SoCal. He said they lasted forever and stopped better than any other lining he had tried. I lost the info he gave me on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

The lining on the LH parking brake measures 7/32. The lining on the RH parking brake measures 1/8. Nothing is out of round. The one wheel was really slowing the car down. Amazing difference in performance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 01:45 am:

I've bought Snyder's repro lining for 26/27 emergency brakes and it fits just as it should.

Tried first buying 26/27 shoes with new lining installed at ebay and then I realized why they were being sold - too thick material, couldn't be fitted & too much to grind off considering it could have been old asbestos stuff that isn't healthy to breathe when ground.

So this is a case where repro stuff worked just fine for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

Royce, I have an extra set of Improved Car new linings from Langs that work well on large drum brakes. I'll never use them, so if you'd like them you are welcome to them. They're just sitting in my parts pile collecting dust. Just PM with you mailing info and I'll send them off to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Kevin,

Much appreciated, but I already have a set coming from Bob's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

Royce,
The Aftermarket 26-7 emergency brake shoes are made incorrectly. The Lugs the brake cams ride against are riveted in the wrong position. This causes the shoes w/lining to be too big to fit in the drum. you have to either remove the shoes and relocate the Lugs, remove the shoes and cut an 1/8" off the feet of the lugs, or remove the shoe and file the lining down.

Mike

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration