30 X 3 1/2 inner tubes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 30 X 3 1/2 inner tubes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

I got some inner tubes from one of the tire suppliers. They are marked Custom Classic brand made in India. Has anyone used this brand and are they any good? I remember a few years ago all the inner tubes available were junk. The supplier claims these are better.
Thanks Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 02:06 pm:

I can't remember for sure but, I'm pretty sure those are the ones I'm using and they are very good. They seem thick and hold air better than the nitrogen filled Goodyears on my brand new truck. Meanwhile, I still have one of those cheap ones that I bought locally during a desparate moment. It has a shorter than normal valve stem. The supplier even told me it was not that good. That tube drops to 40 psi about once a week. The other ones on the car almost never need air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 02:10 pm:

I have been running India made tubes on the 24 the last 7 years with narry a flat in over 50k miles. They have been making tires and tubes there for many years. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 03:42 pm:

Who is the supplier and how much were they? I have two cars with tubes supplied by Lukas and they leak down to about 25 pounds and stay there over a period of about a month and a half.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

Please don't start me on tubes!!! I recently ordered the Custom Classic brand however the ones that arrived were unmarked.(so not Custom??)

Also they weighed 400 grams as opposed to the ECC branded tubes at over twice the weight (1 Kg)

The general thought is EEC stands for European Economic Community but which country in the EEC???

I have had good success with the EEC brand.

Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 12:28 am:

The tubes I bought came from Lucas tire. They look more substantial than some of the really poor ones in the past. At $15 ea the price is good and I like dealing with Lucas. I bought 6. However when I looked closely at them I found 1 with bubbles in the rubber. Another had a crease/slice partly through it and then I found another tube with a thin spot in the rubber! None of these would hold up very long. I want to think this was just my bad luck in getting this many rejects but??? I wonder if the other vendors are selling the same tubes?
Allen I had one new EEC tube in stock. I don't like them myself. I find they are too heavy, not at all like the original tubes were. I put some air in it before installation and it blew up on the spot. It hadn't expanded at all when that happened. Seemed like there was no stretch to the rubber. Don't know what to think.
I hate this crap shoot with inner tubes....
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 06:41 am:

Ken
I'm with you on this subject!
Purchasing Tyres and Tubes in this day and age is a bit of a risk and greater cost doesn't equal a better product.

Punctures or failures of inferior tyres/ tubes spoils a day of cruising in your T and something that you can't control.

Having said that, the EEC tubes in my 26 with wooden spoked wheels and the split rims have never let me down yet.

Fingers crossed on the new batch for the 1910 with wooden spoked wheels!! Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 09:43 am:

I'm using modern tubes now, and cutting off the valve stem for use with original valve stems. I haven't had a problem, in fact the tires rarely go down over 5-10 lbs over a period of time. What used to irritate me is the rubber stemmed tubes currently available would not fit through the hole in the felloe in the early wheels. I've told Coker, Universal, and Lukas about this and they all sympathized with me, but have done nothing to correct the problem! The old Monkey Ward and Firestone tubes were perfect. How come? I even gave them the Schrader number off the stem!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

Here's an up date.
I sent Lucas Tire close up pictures of the 3 faulty tubes. I had a response back immediately. Vince is sending me 4 replacement tubes at no charge with apologies for the problem. That is very good customer service which I certainly appreciate. You can be sure Lucas Tire is getting my next order for tires when the time comes.
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 02:42 am:

Ken, that is good news. Nice to have vendors that stand behind their products. That will generate more business in the long run than trying to screw somebody for a few bucks. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration