Model t or Hudson

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model t or Hudson
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

I tried doing a search but could not bring it up.
I have h-lamp lenses that are in model t headlamps they fit
In but they say HUDSON in five sixteenth high letters
Are they for a Hudson car or just made by a glass co.
With that name thanks in advance Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

They're for a Hudson. The lenses used on their less-expensive brand, Essex, said Essex on the lens.

Your Hudson lens should also have an upside down triangle. That was Hudson's logo. Essex used an octagon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 05:33 pm:

Thanks mike I just looked on the inside of one of them and on
The left and right flanges they have a star with an r in side probably for reg. Trademark .these may just be older or newer
Than the ones you have seen thanks again for your answer.
Probably should have said no triangle .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 06:13 pm:

I guess I should have looked closer .
After I cleaned off all of the rust stains on the glass way down
On the bottom of the lens in tiny letters was
Hudson glass company Hudson New York

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

I also have a T light with a "HUDSON" lense in it. I'll have to look at it a little closer now. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 07:37 pm:

It's not uncommon to find a HUDSON lens in a Model T headlamp. I believe it was a brand of aftermarket lens.

Found this while searching Google books - it's from a 1929 Chilton catalog but unfortunately I cannot pull up the complete passage in the book:

Hudson Glass Lens Corp., 229 W. 58th St., New York, N. Y. (Sole distributors for Jeannette Glass Co., Jeannette, Pa. for "Flintex" lenses for all makes of cars & " Hudson" lenses for Ford Cars.) Jeannette Glass Co. See Hudson Glass Lens ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

This seals the deal:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

They are NOT for a Hudson automobile, they are technically "aftermarket" lenses, though many suspect the Ford "H" lenses were made under the Hudson Glass company's license. Gee, 70 a pair! Wish I could get them for that nowadays! I have a pair on Barney, he came with one & a friend had a matching one! Reason only one lens? I suspect caused by an air gun, or something small like that as the reflector had a hole in it from something passing through from the front, but the shell is OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

Ya' learn something every day.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Hudson and Essex headlight lenses did have the names of the cars molded into the lens but, it also had the logo as I said.

Having not actually seen the lens in question, I assumed it was for a Hudson. You know the old saying, when you assume something, well, you know the rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

Mike:

I believe Hudson and Essex automobiles with lenses with the upside-down Hudson and/or Essex triangle were Spreadlight brand lenses.

Spreadlight lenses were used on a number of cars in the 1920s. For example, my dad's 1927 Hupmobile had Spreadlight lenses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

You're right Erik.

A very good friend of mine has at least 6-7 Essex cars of various body styles. All are the early 4 cyl. models. One car that he has is one of the first 500 Essex cars built during the 1919 model year.

He has determined that Essex used approximately 4-5 different types of headlight designs during the 4 cyl. era. Some look exactly alike, unless you look closely. them you notice the subtle differences.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration