Looking for some dimensions for Rocky Mountain Brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Looking for some dimensions for Rocky Mountain Brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Morgan R. Blanchard on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

I am working a on a set of drop brackets for the rear end of my 1926 speedster. They will preclude the use of the mounting plate for Rocky Mountain Brakes, so I want to build them to include a mounting pin to take the bands for the Rocky mountain set up. Not having a set, I need to know the spacing from the center of the pin where the band and activating lever mount to the outside of the drum. I would appreciate if someone could send me that measurement. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 07:24 pm:

Are you talking about mounting a set of period original RM brakes, or the current reproductions? The mounting methods are completely different. Here is an ad showing what the period originals look like, the brake band is anchored at its midpoint, towards the rear of the car:

rm01

Here is a picture of the current reproductions available from the vendors, the brake band is anchored at one end, towards the front of the car:

rm02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

Can you pull the back wheels off as easily with Rocky Mountain brakes or is it more complicated
procedure?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

You can pull the wheel off with any outside brake setup. You might have to back off the adjustment to get it back on but that's about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Morgan R. Blanchard on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

The reproductions please. They fit my bracket design better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

I just went out and looked at a set of 26/27 that I am working on. It's approx 1 inch. You can go a little more as the part that holds the band is a "U" shaped loop. The loop is tall enough that there is more then enough room for take up for worn linings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Note that the ad above shows the later Tractor Train brakes, which are a little different than the earlier version manufactured by Rocky Mountain Steel Products.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Morgan R. Blanchard on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

Great, thanks for the measurement Mark.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration