1927Touring car Rear Door Post Assembly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1927Touring car Rear Door Post Assembly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

I am working on a 1927 touring car that was converted to a truck at some time in its life, then had a rear section from a ditch in Kansas crudely reattached with some sheet metal screws. I am ready to install the rear door posts. These are the parts that include the rocker panel under the door, the dogleg at the front of the rear fender, and the door latch. I can figure out how to rework the rocker panels, and I can see that the panel was originally riveted to the body subframe at the bottom, behind the dogleg.

From the parts I have, it appears that the relatively heavy rocker panel does not roll over the body subframe. My question is, how is the rocker panel attached to the body subframe? Is it riveted from above, with the rivets hidden by the step plate?

Thanks
Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 06:11 am:

The later touring bodies have a combined rocker panel and sill plate under the front door. The bottom edge crimps to the body sill. The top side with the Ford script is nailed on with drive screws.

On the earlier '26 touring body, the sill and the rocker were two separate pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 07:15 am:

Tom,

Thanks for your assistance. I got the front door sills done earlier. Now I am working on the rear door sills. The original steel appears too heavy to crimp over the body sill, and the body sill is not in a straight line under the rocker panel.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 07:29 am:

Ron,

My body is still off the car. All I 've seen on both the front and rear sills is that they are crimped over the sub rail. The bottom edge of mine is sheared into a series of triangle tabs which probably made bending easier as well as eliminated some of the rust trap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 08:30 am:

The panel crimps as Tom posted. Pictures aren't real good to see all the detail but may help.

This touring body was rough, someone cut out the hinges with a torch, so made patches, maybe you can see the panel fold over on the lower sill, the sill is U shaped and the panel crimps on the underside of the outer edge.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration