What is the secret to installing the windshield on a late tudor?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What is the secret to installing the windshield on a late tudor?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 03:06 am:

My wife and I tried to install the windshield, with the hinge on, without success. The inner most edge of the hinge will not clear the body of the car, even when we tilt it at an angle. Somehow, I got the entire thing out of the car last fall, but cannot seem to put it in. What am I missing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Ritchie on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 04:09 am:

From my memory the hinge does not sit between the pillars but just out from or in line with the outer face of the pillars.
If you did get the hinge to fit where you think it should go then maybe the screw holes would not line up.
Measure your screw holes to the outer face of the header panel and the measure the center of your screw holes on your hinge and see roughly where it needs to be...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 09:13 am:

Jim, you need to tilt the windshield almost straight out for the adjustment pieces to go clear.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 09:16 am:

Slide it on as far as it will go then tilt it straight out and push it until it almost hits and tilt it again, I used a little white grease on the hinge.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 10:47 am:

Thank you for trying to answer my question. The windshield came back from the painter last week and, from your description, I think that the hinge not opening all the way might be the issue. Do you recall how far open it should be, ie. 45 degree angle to the hinge? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 11:07 am:

what style hinge is on it, the piano style or the one u can slide in and out from the side. also is the side garnish off the pillars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 11:57 am:

Good question - I will take a picture of it tonight. Yes, I took the side garnish off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

It looks like it must slide in and out from the side as I do not see any hinges on it. I would hate to try and slide it off as that might damage the paint. I am open to ideas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 12:55 am:

Jim,
I believe the only way you are going to be able to mount that windshield is to slide the body hinge part out, screw it to the header, then slide the windshield on. Yes, you may chip the edge of the paint, and other paint the may get damaged will get damaged when you open the windshield.
This is what touch-up paint is for. The first scratch on a new paint job is the most painful, I know!BTW, this is how the factory did it.
Another option, using helpers, you might be able to install the hinge piece attached to the windshield if you have helpers hold the windshield straight out, giving you access to the screw heads. You probably could use some pictures of the area to help you--anyone have some??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 01:03 am:

My wife and I got the windshield in tonight. We had to angle it from the other side. It and the window pillars fought clearing each other and the dash.

You will see that the back seat doesn't have the correct upholstery. A parent of a student is exchanging favors - I am giving her daughter free music theory lessons (I have an MA in music composition) and she is putting in temporary upholstery for me until I can afford to by the kit. It is just duckcloth, but it is certainly better than the original upholstery, which was falling apart.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration