OT- What a Difference a Day Makes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT- What a Difference a Day Makes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 07:40 am:

These pictures were taken yesterday afternoon which is one of the lunch stops for the 2016 MTFCI Tour.

These pictures are from this morning. What a difference a day makes!
Guess we won't be driving today

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 07:46 am:

Crystal clear but cold here in Albany Dan. How much snow did you get?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 08:09 am:

Chad, so far around six inches , but it is still coming down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 08:23 am:

Wow, nice 51 merc. I have a 54 and of course a few Model T's .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 08:35 am:

Albert, love your Merc. I have a 54 Hardtop also, next to T's I like Mercs the best. Let me know if you would like to see some pics of the Mercs I have and I will have my wife post some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 08:45 am:

Love the 53-54 Merc's, how about a few pics of the inside, the best part/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 10:16 am:

I sure would like some pictures Dan. I also have a 49 and a 50 that I am working on. Sounds like we like the same machines. Where do you live? Al

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

Jerome, the interior of the 53 and 54 Hardtops are original. I'm the second owner of the 54.

Chad, our snow total so far is 11 inches.

Albert, will send the other pics later

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 02:31 pm:

Hi Dan,

So where is that snow? I looked at your profile and that was not informative. Your snow pictures suggest that you live in a house and not in your Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

Albert,
Liked seeing pictures of your Merc. My favorite Mercs are from 49-56

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

Darn Nice Mercs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

Thanks Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 02:00 pm:

What is it that makes a Model T guy also admire 50's Mercurys ?

Dickmercury

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

Hello Dick,
While beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think part of it is the clean, smooth lines of the Mercs. To a lesser degree the Fords of the same era that the other manufactures just didn't have. Of course the early ones with the flat-heads were the darlings of the hot rod/customizing set from day one. The fact that they are very dependable cars don't hurt either. I love looking at the picture of your 53. My first car other than the wheel covers and skirts looked just liked that (same color). Although being a Northeast car was pretty rusty by the time I got it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

One thing that I enjoy about the '53 is that I don't feel compelled to keep it original in the way that I do with the Model T and Model A.

For me, the '53 came out of my teenage years when I really liked hot rods. I still don't look at it as an antique. As a matter of fact, if I ever hit the lottery you guys will know right away. Because the first thing I'm going to do is put Ardun heads on the Merc !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 08:49 am:

I came across a few more 53 Merc pictures that I thought the Merc guys would be interested in. The white one was my first car at my parents house shortly after I bought it. The black one is another one I owned. The brown and yellow 2 dr Hardtop had a factory option leather interior. It belonged to a friend of mine. I almost bought it from him. I restored the 53 convertible that is parked in back of it and sold it. It was a real nice driving car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 02:47 pm:

Beautiful, Dan, just beautiful. You certainly do have fine taste in cars.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 07:46 am:

Thanks Dick,as you do also. Anyone with T's and Mercs has to have fine taste in cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 10:20 am:

I agree Dan, My grandson does also and a good taste in girl friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 11:54 am:

Of course Mercs have gone the way of Edsels, Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles, but wasn't it great when Mercs were not just embellished Fords. All these Mercs are nice, but Albert's coral colored one is especially stunning to me, inside and out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

Al, your grandson does indeed have good taste. How about posting the before pic of your Merc that you sent me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 12:59 pm:

I sure will Dan. The color is Bittersweet It is a original color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

Beautiful Mercurys!! I know where there is a 56 2dr hardtop Merc about 20 miles from my house. Its been sitting under a carport for years and hasn't moved in years. If only I had the money and more time. And I just bought a 63 Ford Galaxie 2 dr hardtop. Oh well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

Al,nice to see pics of cars like yours that were saved. Not as much of that happening any more except in the T world. Later on I will post the pics I sent you on my 53 convert. Interesting and crazy story on that one.Talk about a thread drift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 06:05 pm:

John, You should check that 56 out. If it has been sitting a long time, you never can tell! 63 Fastbacks are another favorite of mine. Post some pictures if you have a chance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 07:23 pm:

Attached are pictures of my 53 Merc Convertible while I was in process of restoring it. I looked for a long time for a 53 Merc but could never find one. I had 2 Merc convertible parts cars that were rotted into the ground, a decent Sedan that was rolled over and at the time 3 53 Ford Convertibles that needed to be restored. I had the idea of using one of the Fords as a basis for this 53 project. I thought the cars were going to be more similar than they ended up being. I knew I would have to graft in the rear section of the Merc frame. What I didn't realize was the Merc had a 3 inch longer wheel base. Turned out the 3 inches was up by the A frames. At the time I was teaching Auto-Body, I was able to bring the car there. I cut the Ford frame off at the firewall, and grafted in the Mercury. I am not into judging but if you register your car at a V-8 meet you are suppose to have it judged. Long story short: The Mercury judging team spent almost 2 hours on it and it got a Dearborn, the highest award you could get at a V-8 meet. When they got done they told me it must have been a very straight car when I started it. There is a detailed story on it in the V-8 Times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Dan Those are sure darn nice Mercs!!! Congratulations on the Dearborn Award, you sure deserved it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 03:19 am:

Dan, don't you just love it when somebody looks at your car that you have brought back from the dead and says "wow, that must have been in great shape when you found it"? Great Mercs guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

Thanks Dave C. Yes Dave I do. When the judges said that, I had a hard time keeping a straight face. That meant more than the award. They must have been shocked when they saw the article and pictures about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 06:09 pm:

Dayyumm, Dan -- You pretty much scratch-built that car! Nice work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

Thanks Mike. It was a pretty intense build.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration