This story was dated July, 23rd. I wonder if it's related? Seems they had problems with gas well fires back then.
FORT COLLINS EXPRESS-COURIER (7/23/1924 page 1)
A 2nd BIG GAS WELL (on Mitchell ranch in Larimer County) caught fire 4 days after it first blew--it had not been properly capped. Spark from a rock reportedly started it. One man was seriously burned, others were only slightly injured. It had been throwing 82 million cubic feet of gas daily, burned for a month until nitro charge put it out. It was finally capped 2 weeks later.