OT A great deal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT A great deal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

This Friday: Comprehensive, informative, fascinating, etc. Over 200 American makes, from the familiar to the unknown. But wait for the Friday sale.

http://www.oldcarsbookstore.com/standard-catalog-of-american-cars-1805-1942-paperback

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

I have a copy of this book and it is great reading (be warned, the print is pretty small).

The number of car manufacturers who came and went during this period is staggering!

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

-Thanks, Steve!-
Krause Publications (Iola, WI) also puts together a comprehensive 'Old Cars Price Guide' (Quarterly), reporting sales and auction prices from across the country. There is a 'grading system' from the 'Factory - Never Driven' down to 'parts cars'. I've gone to a book store that carries it when I just want the latest copy.
http://www.oldcarsbookstore.com/old-cars-price-guide-magazine-one-year-subscript ion-u-s?cid=1120&gclid=CNXwt-CRp8kCFQqpaQod7LgA2A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

Egads, that's a deal!! Thanks for posting Steve!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Thanks Steve! Think I'll treat myself to an early Christmas present. And notice, I still say "CHRISTmas"!!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

Yes, this is a grand book and you will Never beat this price. It even mentions the vehicles made here in my home town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 12:14 am:

Wow! I have it, and use it a lot. My copy is well worn. Among other things, I read about eighty percent of it from cover to cover researching my gasoline carriage. A lot of interesting trivia in it. Did you know that the Wright brothers built an automobile? But it wasn't Orville or Wilbur.
Not a lot of detail about most cars. But a good quick reference for many of them.
I would recommend it for anyone with a general interest in the minutia of automobile history. Especially at that price. I think I paid about $40 for mine almost twenty years ago.
Thank you Steve, for the heads up!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

Well, someone must have 'seen the light' as the latest email about Black Friday sale now shows it at $27.50, not $11.50. I wondered yesterday, as when I clicked on the link the price wasn't $11.50. Probably still a good deal, but not the steal we thought it would be!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

Well, someone must have 'seen the light' as the latest email about Black Friday sale now shows it at $37.50, not $11.50. I wondered yesterday, as when I clicked on the link the price wasn't $11.50. Probably still a good deal, but not the steal we thought it would be!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

I stuttered!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 03:34 pm:

It's not Friday yet. Let's take a look then and see what happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

The book was out of print for several years driving up the price of used copies several times. I got one of the last 3rd edition copies before the supply dried up. When they decided to issue a new printing I ordered a new copy only to find it was an exact copy of the 3rd edition. I was some what disappointed as I was hoping to find additional cars in the new printing. Especially since I had supplied information on a couple cars not previously listed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

Steve - You were right about waiting 'till Friday,..."and see what happens".

My wife just ordered the book for me for my birthday. Just so everybody knows, she said that they will gladly sell you the book for $37.50, HOWEVER, my wife explained to the girl she talked to that there is a special "BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL", at which time, the girl acted surprised and did some more computer work, and as it ended up, my wife got the book for $11.50, plus shipping for a total of $15.49.

The phone number my wife called was (855)-842-5268, then option #3.

Just thought I'd post this so everybody knows that the $11.50 thing really works, but you have to ask for it specifically, and depending where you are in the U.S.A., be sure to call during "business hours" today. FWIW,........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

Oops! I forgot to say,......"THANKS Steve"!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

Just thought I'd bump this up to the top and say "thanks again" to Steve Jelf for the "great deal" tip and to advise that it really did work!

Received my huge book entitled,..."Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805 - 1942 (3rd edition) last week. This huge $75.00 book for a total of $15.49 including shipping was exactly what Steve described as,...."A great deal"! This beautifully illustrated and fully indexed book contains 1612 pages would you believe, and is about the size of one of the old 3" or 4" thick large city phone books and weighs a whopping 7 pounds! At today's rates,....even the shipping cost was a heck of a deal!
I'm hoping that quite a few forum guys also took advantage of this great "tip" from Steve Jelf,.....thanks again Steve,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

FYI - If you click on the link above provided by Steve you'll find that the same book from the same source is now $52.49.

It was a great deal!! Thanks Steve!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

A friend ordered 3 copies at the reduced price, and all he got were CD's. You guys got the big book at the original price? Nice....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Bolz on Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

Yes, got mine. Now that I know a perfect 1909 town
car is worth 23K in #1 condition I'll be looking for
one. Thanks Steve. Nice book for reference.
And, it is over 2 1/2 " thick. Lots of great information without having to Google.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration