Toronto Branch Plant.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Toronto Branch Plant.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

Not sure if this was ever posted here. I thought it was interesting enough though. The main floor showroom in now a restaurant, they have Model T pictures on the walls there and I have even had lunch there. I sure would like to own a car that was built at that plant if there was a way to confirm it.

http://www.autofocus.ca/news-events/features/ford-used-to-test-model-ts-on-the-r oof-of-this-toronto-factory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 04:33 pm:

I like the picture of the early 1915 runabout with straight rear fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

Royce,
I like the Coupelet -Far Right

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:55 am:

The picture of the building looks a lot like the one I remember in Winnipeg on Portage Avenue. When I was an apprentice in the '50s it was a government trade school.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

In that article, there's a really nice image of a brass roadster pick-up.
I wasn't aware that Ford built pick-ups so would that be a "factory" built vehicle or specially made?
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

On that Roadster Pickup, check out the Prest - O - Lite tank, and it doesn't have any regulator. I would guess that this was a dealer built body, and it's a really nice job.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

Ken, that building and pretty much every other Ford factory looked much the same. Five or six floors with the top windows arched. I'm guessing it was another Albert Kahn special. I don't know if he worked here in Canada or not.

Rob, Ford didn't build pickups until 1925 so that one is a conversion.

BTW, the other Toronto Ford factory mentioned in the article that was built in the '20s is also still standing. It is now Shoppers World Mall. I used to shop there in the '70s and never knew what it had been. Both factories were directly in front of railway lines as Ford always wanted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

This is the second Toronto plant in the far east end of the city.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

posted previously
http://lost-toronto.blogspot.ca/2011/02/mod.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

Dave,
I don't think anyone remembered the '20's to '50's plant on the Danforth where Shopper World is when you lived there. I recall an item on the news during a renovation in the '90's of underground fluid storage tank being found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 09:26 am:

Interesting Steven. I recall seeing part of the parking lot being dug up around that time. I thought it was mall expansion. They were probably removing the tank. This is the first time I've looked at the property from above. Obviously the buildings in the foreground are modern mall structures. It is the light coloured building on the left that was the Ford plant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 10:26 am:

I found some interesting history here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoppers_World_Danforth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 10:59 am:

Rob,

This is the photo of the pick-up,

It carries Ford's 1914 Michigan Manufacturer's license plate, 5005M. That would seem to indicate the pick-up was assembled and tagged by the Ford factory in Detroit.

Also, the wood cases stacked behind the car are labeled "Detroit Motor Car Supply Company". They were a supplier of passenger and commercial bodies to Ford Motor Company.

The gas headlights must be Victor or Corcoran going by the door rim. They are not John Browns but have both door hinges on the right side.

Great picture.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

Here is the Model T plant being built in 1921. Next is how the building looked for decades and finally, the original Ford plant rediscovered during recent renovations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

Awesome!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

Dave,
Interesting information.
I am particularly interested in any of the Canadian Ford
Plants,because of our Australian connection to Ford Canada.

I looked up the name on the above photo, and it would appear that Anglin - Norcross Ltd. were the builders of the Albert Khan designed Plant.

Best regards, John Page, Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

Glad to help John. Today, my wife and I had lunch in the showroom of the first Model T plant on Dupont Street in Toronto and I have plenty to show you.Here are pics I took today
Check back in a few minutes, I have more to post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

Thankfully, the current owners love the history of the building. Look close, there is a Model T on the main floor and another on the second floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

Some history on the walls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

This is not the pic that was posted earlier. Note that this is a Touring Car instead of a Runabout. Look at the building pillars and compare to this pic I took of the cafe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

'27 Canadian Touring on main floor. '26 Canadian Coupe on second floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

The original freight elevator that moved cars between floors and also to the test track on the roof. It still works and is used daily. The sixth floor button has been blanked out because it no longer goes to the roof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

The Ford power plant. It was a Bentley automobile showroom until very recently. That's everything folks. Enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

I wonder if anyone here owns either of the Model Ts on display in the photos above. I never thought to ask where they came from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WilliamThomas Forsythe on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

This former Ford plant - a lovely building indeed, is very close to my heart. I was born in Toronto, and from 1948 to 1952 the annual Santa Claus parade started each year, on the opposite corner, on Dupont Street. As I lived very close, my brothers and I were lined up on the curb, in the cold and snow fall, to watch the parade when it finally got underway.During those years the building was occupied by Planters Peanuts, not Ford. Great photos and many memories. Tom Forsythe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 10:13 am:

Good to hear Tom. Hopefully you can have lunch or dinner there if you ever swing through Toronto again. They serve pretty good food and beers there. I'm not sure what Henry Ford would think of liquor bottles in his showroom though. If the current owner keeps going, we might wind up with a Model T museum in Canada.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration