Color of top iron body stud on '27

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Color of top iron body stud on '27
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 05:25 pm:

Regarding the threaded stud which holds the top iron (the top prop nut threads onto it also) - was this part painted while on the car body?

I foolishly left these parts on the body when it was painted and now I need to remove them in order to install the interior wood pieces. The paint will be damaged on them so I need to know if they will need to be repainted in body color or black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

That's a 27 Roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 06:09 pm:

Mine are black on a green car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

Thanks for your response Les.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 02:46 am:

I believe the car was fitted with rubber plugs and the studs were purchased separately. I am not sure what style of nut was used but I used a square nut. I painted the stud and nut black, FWIW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

There is some confusion here. I should have attached a picture from the start but I recently switched from Windows to MacBook so I'm still learning how to manage pictures in the Apple environment...

Here is a picture showing my car with previous paint. The stud was painted green as was the body.

The parts book shows the body shell without the stud. This doesn't, however, prove that the bodies were painted without the stud installed.

Does anyone out there have an original '27 to confirm original color of the top iron pivot stud?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

Eric,

If you look at the photos of the 15,000,000 Model T Ford in some of them you can see the top iron pivot bolt as shown in the photo below. [Lang’s lists that part as #46156X at: https://www.modeltford.com/item/46156X.aspx But that number was apparently not used in the Ford Price List of Parts – but that is the part you are asking about.] The top bows pivot on that bolt and the top prop nut screws onto that part. Below is a photo of that area when number 15,000,000 was still on the assembly line.

Below is the area you are interested in seeing:

(Note a higher resolution photo would be great, but this is the best I could do at the moment. ) In the photo you can clearly see that the top prop nut and the folding top irons are similar in tone to the black fenders. You can also see that the pivot bolt is the same tone as the body. Technically that does not prove it is body color as a black and white photo could possibly display two different colors the same general shade of gray. But we are fairly sure it is the same as the body color.

Note number 15,000,000 may not be the best sample, as you can also see the assembly line man inserting the top saddle (top rest) support arms (Lang’s 3858B at: https://www.modeltford.com/item/3858B.aspx ) . You can tell that it is the same general tone as the top bows, fenders, etc and I would assume that is black. But we know that many of the later cars came with those holes filled in by a rubber plug with the top saddle and arms supplied for the owner to install. But since Henry Ford owned the factory – and wanted to take some photos of the car driving with the top down, they gladly built the car anyway Henry wanted it.

Note the MTFCI Judging standards do not specifically address the color the top pivot bolt should be painted. Or if they do, I missed that entry.

If others have some additional early photos and/or other information, please share it also.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

Hap, the close detail picture clinches it for me - it's body color. I'll need to figure a way to paint the top pivot bolts after I get the obstinate mounting nuts off. The locking pliers aren't going to do the new paint any good I'm afraid. Thanks very much for the pictures.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

Eric,

It might be less expensive to cut/split the top prop nuts off with a dremel etc than to have to match the paint and repaint the pivot bolts?

See Lang's https://www.modeltford.com/item/33708BL.aspx and https://www.modeltford.com/item/33708BQ.aspx

And looking at those photos you might be able to split just the nut part so it could be screwed off and the weld another nut on the back.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

Hap,

It's the inside mounting nuts that are tight. I need to remove them in order to place the new wood pieces inside the body. They fit just above and around the mounting nut inside the body.

I return home tomorrow so I can take some pictures which will clear things up in a jiffy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

Eric

On my '26 painted black, that stud got black paint.

If you don't have to remove that stud for the top iron, you are better off. The wood tack strip can be cut around to fit to that stud.

This is poor picture but shows the wood tack strip surrounds the stud nut by being cut in a circle there.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration