Luggage rack, is this period?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Luggage rack, is this period?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 02:22 am:

I purchased this luggage rack yesterday, only the one unfortunately.
Does this look period correct guys?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 02:45 am:

Very nice! Difficult to find looking that good. I have one similar to that I found in my grandfather's junk pile. Took me hours to make it look half that nice.
A very nice era correct accessory!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 03:47 am:

Thanks Wayne I was hoping it was. Passed a "Garage Sale" sign (I think you guys call it Yard sale) in a small town when driving up to buy a Depot Hack yesterday and I had some spare time so I pulled over. He was wanting rid of a pile of T parts. I got 4 axles, two diff heads with attached axle sets, some diff assembly's, hub caps, starter parts plus some other bits and pieces and the luggage rack for $5. Was a worth while stop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 04:10 am:

Nice, Have one on the 24, much better in my opinion than the accordion style. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 05:23 am:

Congratulations on the hack, by the way. It looks like it should be a lot of fun!
I had to quit stopping at garage sales. I always find too many things I need to not spend money on. And I rarely found model T parts at them. But it sounds like you found the right one!
And just like Keith g b says, I like this type much better than the accordion style.
Again. Congratulations on getting the hack!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 06:16 am:

I have one just like that. Myself, I prefer the accordion style because they have a bracket on each end that helps hold whatever is stored in it. It can be adjusted to hold an item much more "snugly", and can be adjusted for length. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 09:09 am:

Often when I need boxes I raid McDonald's trash for empty fry cases.

After the picture was taken, my experience on a windy day taught me that it's a good idea to carry some rubber bungees to strap light objects into the luggage rack so they don't blow out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 09:27 am:

Absolutely its period correct. I think the accordion style is probably the most common style that Steve shows on his 15 Roadster. Only because I have 2 of them. I wonder how many different styles were made during the T era. Does anybody really know?

I think I have one like Kevin shows has but its sure not as good as condition like his is. Its in my pile of T parts that's questionable whether to scrap or keep.

Kevin that was a good deal on everything you bought!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 09:30 am:

I have one like Kevin's on my '21 RPU. I like those better than the accordian ones, because when you fold them down, they disappear even with the running board. When you fold the others, they're still sticking up in the way.

The larger openings in the one I have aren't conducive to hauling some things, but I'm having a local basket maker make a lidded White Oak basket to fit the space I have there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 09:44 am:

Mike that's a good point. I guess I'm slow not to have thought of that. Maybe I will dig in my questionable pile of T parts and try to resurrect the remains of the one I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 10:09 am:

Yes, the accordion style is very common. Not quite a dime a dozen, but pretty close. At Hershey this year it seemed that everybody had one. For me to spend over ten bucks for one it would have to be perfect. The one on my car was $3 because it was bent. A big hammer and an anvil improved it considerably.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

Great feedback guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

I have one like that and two other types. Driving a Torpedo on a week long tour you need all the storage space you can find. Each one has it's good points. The accordion type is nice cause it's adjustable to fit what ever you have and the ends fold to provide some security front and back. When it's not in use it sort of sticks up and is not very appealing to the eyes.

The type you have is hardly noticeable when it's folded down and looks and works good as well when it's up.

The third one I have is patented 1913 and consists of two separate castings. They clamp to the running board and each has an adjustable strap that goes up over your luggage or cooler to hold it in place.

It would be interesting to see how many types were made. I'm sure many were homemade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

I bought an accordion type at a swap meet and put it on the car. After a couple of weeks, I got tired of people asking me what it was for so I put an empty wicker picnic basket behind it. Then they stopped asking....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

OT - Sorry Kevin,....can't remember if I read this or just "heard" this, but this thread might be a good place to tell one of my favorite Model "T" stories:

At a local "cruise-in" or "show n' shine", a young couple was looking at all the cars, and the young lady walked up to a Model "T" owner and asked,...."excuse me sir, but why do you have a baby gate on the side of your car?"

"Oh" he said,...."Model "T's don't have seat belts, and we couldn't afford one of those expensive baby car seats anyway, so we just throw the kid in there, and it works out just fine".

I guess this young gal's jaw almost hit the ground as she was so astounded at the "T" guys' answer! I hope he told her that he was just kidding,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

Caution,those fold downers are finger pinching SOB's Don't ask me how I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 06:55 pm:

I'm a fan of the wicker basket also, the one I found on Ebay was listed as a "wicker magazine holder". The handles make it easy to remove from the rack if desired. :-)

basket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 06:58 pm:

Kevin: I have one just like that on my 15 runabout. It's great.
Barry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

Perhaps this is the ultimate!h

This one is on my 27 Tudor. I have another for my new roadster.

When folded, it becomes part of the running board, and is hardly noticeable

The side lifts and locks in
place, just like most.

Then you can adjust the width to the load and clamp it in place.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

See Gents, even cameras work "topsy turvey" down here....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 12:38 am:

It's not that Rob. My damn smart phone is not smart enough to compensate for my inadequacies. Apparently, I can only rotate pictures if I do it before adding them to the reduced photo file.
Sorry folks, if you have a lap top just turn it to suit!

Allan from down over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 12:42 am:

Might be ok for the Northern hem guys but since I'm only part the way there the pics are sideways lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 02:36 am:

Allan, that is a very neat rack. I've never seen one like that, BUT, I think there is a problem. It is mounted on the wrong side of the car! The top rail should go to the front of the car! At least it looks that way to me. It must have been designed for the cars with the steering wheels on the "correct" side of the road! Just kidding. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 03:31 am:

Alan I agree that is a great design.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration