OT "T" clock

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT "T" clock
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 07:12 am:

During the FL. Winter Tour'08 at Tallahassee, Fl. they had an auction and I won the clock displaying the tour.
It finally quit.I love the clock. I have replaced the AA battery a number of times, but this time, it didn't cure the problem. If the member who made the clock is on this FORUM, let me know where and how I can get the clock works to repair.
RDW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 07:54 am:

Rich, I'd just get into the yellow pages and look up clock businesses, I'm sure down there there's gotta be a few. Probably has one of those little black "clockwork" thingy's if it's using a typical AA battery. I have a half a dozen of 'em scattered throughout our house. Might even be able to find one at one of the big box stores. Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 07:57 am:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=12&_ipg=50&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=clock+han ds+kit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 08:15 am:

Ed's post leads you to the best solution. You didn't supply a picture, but most of these "one off" clocks use a cheap quartz movement such as Ed shows. You can also try klockit.com , they have a wide variety.

Installation is usually easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 08:36 am:

Bud;
Haven't figured out the picture thing yet. It's a beautiful clock. I have it apart and will get it going thanks to yu all.
RDW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 09:19 am:

I agree with Tim and Bud. There are several "standard" quartz movements available, and they are cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 09:36 am:

I just replaced the movement in one of my battery clocks with a replacement from klockit.com. Be sure to get matching replacement hands with the new movement, for some reason the shaft designs are not standardized between different brands of movement.

Also, when you install the new movement and hands, check to make sure that the hands don't drag on the dial face or interfere with each other as they go around.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 10:03 am:

Richard, I recently had the same problem with a little battery clock. Since it was already bad, it couldn't hurt to take the back off and look inside, so I did. I found that the battery contacts are not directly soldered to the inside mechanism. Instead, they make pressure contact with other contacts inside the back of the clock. These contact points were dirty and corroded from moisture, so I cleaned them up and put it back together and it works perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 10:35 am:

Quartz clock works are available at craft stores such as Michaels and at hobby shops.

My brother likes to take objects like hubcaps and turn them into clocks. He just goes to the Goodwill and buys quartz clocks and robs the works from them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:27 am:

Jeff;
I took it apart and it had a million pieces that went everywhere. Guess I'll get another movement for my clock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:46 am:

Richard, does the clock chime or just tell time?

If it just tells time, you need to know the length of the threaded shaft with the nut on that holds it in the case.

3/8th and 3/4th are the most common sizes. There are also 2 different standard sizes of the threaded area.

There are also different hand lengths available.

Those movements are available locally at most craft stores for about $10. A. c. Moore and Michaels carry them in Maryland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

No chimes. 3/4th. Thanks James.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

I have about eight to ten of those things around here. At this moment, only one of them works (a nice redwood burl we have had for about twenty years). They fail often. Several times I have fixed electrical problems like Jeff H mentions. But they also often fail in the quartz drive in ways I haven't been willing to spend any significant time trying to figure out if it can be fixed (short of replacing the quartz crystal). Several of them started running really fast before they quit altogether. I figure that is probably a crystal failure.
The redwood burl one? I replaced the clock drive in it for the second time about a year ago. Working fine ever since. Most of the rest of them I am going to just throw out.
Others have already given you all the useful information that you should need. I would not buy a used one because based upon the number of them I have had fail, I figure any used one is likely too close to quitting. Buy a new, matching, clock drive at a craft store.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 06:55 am:

(Message edited by tmiller6 on November 25, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 06:55 am:

(Message edited by tmiller6 on November 25, 2015)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration