OT - But car people will be able to relate....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - But car people will be able to relate....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 09:43 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 10:40 am:

That is absolutely NOT OT.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:40 am:

Always nice to meet a man that DOESN'T have to ask his wife!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

Ron,

I quit asking my wife if I could buy anything about 19-20 years ago...right after she threw me out! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

My wife only has one rule, "do you have the cash for it?":-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

I must be spoiled,

My wife keeps asking,"WHEN are you going to buy another vehicle?"

She also asked me "When are you going to get me the Sig Sauer P938 Extreme?"

I wonder if the two questions are connected! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

Yup, no wife, good income, nice shop, lots of tool and a back all shot to heck from working like a fool to get here. But I'm still pretty darn happy. I guess some of us just aren't suited for marriage. I tried it twice. Once for a year and a half and once for 33 years. There won't be a third strike!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

I have made the mistake of asking permission twice, and still regret missing the opportunity to buy both of them. (68 Chevelle SS396 and '55 Chevy 3100 p/u)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

One day my wife came home with a new car. Next time was my turn. She said one does not need to ask for permission. We just have to take turns doing it. I guess that is her rule.

When I bought my first T she did not talk to me for 3 days. The second T for about 7 days. I guess I really wasn't suppose to buy a second car, or a third.

Oh well. In a couple of months we hit 25 years and life goes on. She knows I am not at the bar or checking out the street corners, so she is accepting. Plus the kids like the cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 12:53 am:

I never ask to buy any of my toys, but I only buy that stuff with cash I earn after hours in my shop. Most of the time the shop cash goes the other direction, supplementing household finances. My wife did ask me just one time what car I was going to get rid of when I bought another T. I asked her if she got rid of a pair of shoes every time she bought another pair. The subject never came up again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 02:25 am:

Erik, NICE comeback! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 08:35 am:

My wife "sort of" gave up on me back in '87, when I came home from work Christmas Eve and after dinner just calmly said, "Oh yeah, almost forgot, I just put a down payment on a new 30 foot sailboat today!" We haven't had that boat since 2001 and she still reminds me of that!! Like Dave's wife, she accepts it. (all the car buying)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 10:05 am:

Ah,if i only had the money,I have the single part down pat! :-)
I have never understood why married folks can't reach suitable compromises. Must be a control thing or something. No 2 people are alike nor do they see things the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 10:56 am:

My wife pretty well lets me do what I do. "Im very lucky". But a long time ago when we were younger and the kids were young, we were just barely making it. I was buying and selling (Picking) to help out on the money problem. It was early winter, and a union Boilermaker could hardly find a job. (remember Regan-nomics) Anyway, I found a fairly decent looking 64 Galaxy 500 convertible for 600.00 that I could buy. We only had about 1500.00 to our name, to make it thru the winter with. Well I bought the car, (did not ask permission) and brought it home. I had a rule of thumb that any convertible should bring 1500.00. Now the car looked rough, it even was full of horse sh#% to the top of the doors. It had sat in a barn breezeway for years and I guess the horse backed up to it and did his business for years. Well after seeing the car, she blew up. started griping about "you spent almost 1/2 our savings on that" "how are we going to pay bills this winter" "we will have to borrow money from your parents to buy food" and on and on.... (must have been the horse sh*&) Well I started cleaning up the car and shoveled out the poop. It seems horse poop preserves things, as the uphoulstery looked good. I then put in a battery to see if the engine was locked up. It turned over great and all the lights, radio, and everything worked. So with a little gas it fired right up. The carb was leaking thru the overflow so I did a carb/cleanout and did a brake fluid flush and honed the brake cylinders. and did a good detail cleaning, So with just a couple days of fixing and cleaning, I had a nice rust free driving convertible (with title). I folded the top down (it was torn)but the car looked great. So just for the hell of it. I listed it in the Little Rock Ark Gazette newspaper free want ads for 6500.00 You have to start high, as you can not go up. I got a call the next morning from a guy who said. "I want it" I told him to come look first, but he said again "I want it" So he drove up that afternoon and never even tried to haggle on the price. He paid me with 100 dollar bills (65 of them) After he left I went in the house and my wife was sitting in the living room. I never even gave her a chance to say anything. I just threw the 100 dollar bills into the air and they just "rained" down on her. And like the
smart ass" I could be back then said " Don't you ever say a "damn" word about things I buy again. Well we made it thru the winter in very good shape. And to this day (30 years later) she has never said one word about my buys. I even bought a complete Junk yard of cars, 165 of them, at one time. (but that is another story) and not a single word from her about it. Like I said before "Im very lucky"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

Donnie, when they come out with the home "Clone your Wife" kit will you let me clone yours?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 12:10 am:

Jerome, Sorry, but Im stingy and she's one of a kind. Like I said Im very lucky, ..... :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration