OT - Foggy Bottoms Got Me Blue ....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Foggy Bottoms Got Me Blue ....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:18 am:

What is up with this Fresno Fog this morning ?

8:15 a.m. and visibility is still less than 20 feet ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:25 am:

The Central Valley is famous for that. On the interstate there people keep driving at freeway speeds and have 200-car pileups.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:38 am:

You need to go east about 50 miles or more to get up in altitude. It is quite often foggy from Redding to Bakersfield. The fog seems to lay along the floor of the valley. The valley is surrounded by mountains and the temperature inversion keeps the colder air from rising, so you have fog.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:39 am:

The dew point is 44F and the temp got below that and is now only just 45F. That's what's up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:43 am:

Well,

I am about 20 miles south of Fresno just off I-99
and although I don't do this section thru to Tehachapi
and across to Barstow very often - I still don't remember
fog this thick lasting this long ....

Still fogged in ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:52 am:

I've lived in "The Valley" for 30 years. The first few years it would fog up about this time of year and not clear up until February. It was often so thick you got lost because you couldn't see street signs or other landmarks. It was a very good time to stay home.

Later, over the years, this pattern has significantly diminished. We still have a few days a year of "soup", but much less than before. This change started before the drought, so I don't believe it's drought related, but I have not been able to decide what forces I think are responsible.

Be patient, it will burn off then you will enjoy the sunshine even more! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

Henry,

Cooler weather with rain moving in & snow maybe down to 2500 feet is what I hear for later today & tonight.

You folks need every drop of moisture.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

Freighter Jim: Here in Redding it is just a light sprinkle , and maybe snow tonight or tomorrow, but snow could be dow to 1500 and Redding is at 500+-. We last year had 3 or 4 inches of snow on Dec 6.
No FOOOOOOGGGGG yet, but we will have it off and on here upcoming. I remember years ago having to to LA for a weeks schooling and the Hy 99 route down thru From Fresno to Grapevine was heavy fog, and bad driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

When I lived in Sacramento, many years ago, the tule fog would get so thick that my passenger would have to open his door in my truck to watch for the driveway apron so we could pull into work! Who knows who we just missed driving there! I don't miss that at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Jim,
Welcome to what is known as "Valley Fog" it hasn't been as bad as usual the past couple of DECADES. The first year I moved from Dunsmuir to Oroville, we had a winter with three months of fog. I started going stir crazy, then found I could drive 30 minutes up to Paradise & be in sunshine!! The return trip was always depressing, however! I found out I would rather be in snow at 17 degrees than in the fog at 55 degrees--the fog cold goes right through to your bones and you cannot get warm!
Hope it clears for you so you can travel safely. We're headed to S. California in two weeks to pick up my wife's "new" engine & some exhaust pipes from Larry so I am hoping the fog goes away!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 12:03 am:

I did a lot of my learning to drive in that stuff! I don't know who scares me more? The fool that thinks he should do five miles an hour in it? Or the fool that thinks he is good enough to maintain seventy-five miles an hour in it. Either one could kill a dozen people.
PLEASE drive carefully! And enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration