KEYWAYS ON WOOD WHEELS?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: KEYWAYS ON WOOD WHEELS?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

I was looking at pictures of a batch of wood wheels and I see that at least (1) has two keyways. Since I am new to the "T" world, I am wondering how common it is for wheels to have two keyways. Any info. will help.
Thank you
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

Not at all common, but someone may have cut a new one 180 degrees from the old one if the wheel had been run loose on the axle taper and the old keyway got enlarged.

There are other fixes for bad keyways like making a step key that fits 100% in both the axle and the hub.

It's always best to make sure the rear wheel hub nut is tight - not only when mounting the wheel, but a second time after driving some miles - and then occasionally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 01:03 pm:

No, it's not common. Ford never made them that way. It was either a repair or not a Ford wheel. For instance, my speedster has one wire wheel hub with an extra keyway as a repair. (Don't tell anyone)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration