Model T era maintenance advice

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T era maintenance advice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 02:37 pm:

Whenever the question of Which oil? is asked, you can count on a long string of conflicting opinions. Differing advice in nothing new. Here are three T era maintenance schedules, each with its own different version of what to do and when.

The 1927 chart from SOCONY is the only one that mentions an oil change. Do you follow any of these, or is there an official Ford source you prefer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 03:25 pm:

Ford Owners Manual for engine oil change.
Answer # 101

'..draining off the dirty oil...about every seven hundred and fifty miles.'

Normally drain and refill every 500 miles or after every tour, which is about that distance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Does anybody do the kerosene thing Answer #101 recommends?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

Here's the Ford chart from the owner's manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Thanks for the era reprint Royce. I learned something. In nearly a half century of fooling with Model Ts I've never raised the front wheels at least 6" off the ground when draining the oil. I shall do that from here on!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

I have been known to flush a T with diesel fuel just before I drop the inspection pan to do some engine work on any T that has not had the oil changed as often as it should have..
It is easier and cheaper to get diesel fuel than kerosene. Does a better job too.
It really shakes up the T owner sometimes too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

Yes, in Model T days kerosene was cheap. Now it is definitely not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 12:38 am:

Does anybody put Kerosene in a hot engine as Steve asked?
Aaron please explain the way you "flush the engine with diesel fuel"? Do you mean you fill it with diesel oil and run it a bit or do you fill it with diesel fuel?
I might use my ramps to give me 6" for future oil changes.
Interesting thread!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration