Warford mounting bracket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Warford mounting bracket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

While pulling my engine I just noticed that the Warford has no mounting or bracing bracket. Does this extra weight have any negative effect to the motor or transmission?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

-Dave-
This thread may help you.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/393234.html?1381169538

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Palmisano on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

Do you have the aluminum or cast iron case? If you have the cast iron version you should have a u-joint between the transmission and the warford, and there should be a brace at rear. If you have the aluminum version there was no brace, however if you search the are some good ideas on how to add a support.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

This is the aluminum case

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 07:28 pm:

That's the brace.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Palmisano on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

The brace Herb shows is for the cast iron case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

For an under support I fashioned two hooks to hook into holes drilled in the frame, between the two hooks I made a plate for the tranny to sit on and turnbuckles/chain between the plate and hooks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

A frame I bought couple of yrs ago had an auxilary trans mount made by cutting down a rear crossmember to fit inside the frame rails and then installed upsidedown. Don't know what type tranny was used. Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 10:42 am:

I have a Warford crossmember that looks like the one in the picture that Herb Iffrig posted, but it is marked TT Ford. Are the car and the TT crossmember the same?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 11:04 am:

Although the bracket seems designed for the TT where it mounts on top of the lower rail it can be used for a passenger car frame by mounting it under the frame. It will require special U bolts to secure it and better if the bracket is made longer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

OK guys... I've received a couple of responses thru mail as they didn't want this to get carried away and piss people off. This overdrive has been on 15 year and while tearing everything down all the bottom end looks good. My problem is in the top end.. With that said is there anyone that has a mount on their aluminum overdrive and if so why? To me and the gentleman that is helping me doesn't think it LOOKS and only looks like it is strong enough. Would like to hear from the ones that have the aluminum overdrive with and without the brace... I really DO appreciate all your comments... Thanks Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

If it was mine, I would put a support on it, aluminum transmission included. At best it may just help, at the least, what's it going to hurt? JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 12:36 am:

I made a sling/support for mine with a piece of all thread that hangs over the frame on each side. In the center under the bottom is a small plate with a hole on each side for the threaded nut. I tightened it up just enough to take a small bit of weight off the 4th main and not allow the bracket to chatter under the Warford. I know lots of guys run without and I did for a long time.

I've often thought about how much movement up and down there is when braking hard or taking off fast? Also how much movement is there when the frame is twisting when you turn into that steep driveway at an angle. Is it good to have it anchored solid, maybe not?

I think you'll find that many guys feel the support might help prevent a broken crankshaft. So far there isn't any proof.

PS I also have a bellypan support in case one of ears break and a truss rod under the dif.. What's next? Guess I have to have another look at some more of the old accessory advertisements.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration