Are Center doors worth more?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Are Center doors worth more?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 04:37 pm:

On Monday I heard of an old Lady that is looking to sell her center door. They have owned it for over 50 yrs and they went on their honeymoon in the car. Her husband has recently died and she wants to sell the car and has contacted her local Vintage Car Club for advice on value.
I'm not in the position to buy it but was wondering if they fetch more or less than similar bodied cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

I think a center door costs more to restore than nearly any other body style, particularly if all the wood is bad. I don't see them fetching the highest prices. They tend to sell for around the same price as a touring, all other things being equal.

Couplets and town cars are at the top of the value list, again all other things being equal.

Value is dependent on condition, and model year. Look the center door over carefully. Something as simple as a bad headliner can cost thousands to replace if you don't do any of the work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 06:02 pm:

Thanks Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

-Kevin-
Might you be thunkin 'Maybeeee'?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

Never much cared for the curved roof line. Am I correct in thinking that's the added cost in re-wooding one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

I think the center doors are the prettiest T Models out there. I's sure hate to have to put a set of bands in one, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 07:14 pm:

Probably;
I have a Centerdoor in the process of being rewooded. I started it about the time of my divorce 13 yrs. ago. At that time I purchased the top kit which included the curved top pieces.
Can't remember which vendor I got it from,but it wasn't cheap. Most of the rest of the wood, the door pillars and other pieces are also curved. Tough car to rewood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

Transmission band changes are exceptionally easy with a center door Robert. Simply pull the pin and remove the passenger seat. Unlike a touring, roadster or coupe you don't have to sit in the seat and bend over or on your knees on the running board with the door open. Just sit cross legged on a rather spacious 'deck' immediately over the tranny inspection cover

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

Kevin, I always wanted one till a close friend bought one, I got to drive it, that part was great but the circus to get in to it is less to be desired with a passenger! Try it first before you decide!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

I really enjoyed mine while I had it. It is one of the cars I really wish I had managed to keep.
I will agree, driver getting in and out with passengers in the car is probably the worst thing about one. Unless you really enjoy "showing your best side" (yo be-hind) to your passengers as you do the "bend-over".
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Sumner lapeer mi on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 08:23 am:

This is why C doors are expensive to restore. Les
c door 1c door woodc door done

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 08:51 am:

Les, that is why they are more fun to restore!! What a beautiful piece of art you have there...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 09:12 am:

I would agree with Don as to the work of art!! No i have no tallent to do it but i enjoy the work of those who do!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 09:41 am:

Les, did you get this body in St. Johns ? If so ,I owned it at one time and know a lot of the history of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 10:08 am:

I don't which would be more time consuming and expensive. A center door T or the later 4 door sedans 23-25. The center doors look more antique to me in that regard.
But to me any T sedan is a work of art without the sheet metal on it.

Sometimes though I wish I had kept the 25 4 door sedan I inherited along with the 24 Coupe he had.

He bought it in the 50's for parts for his 24 Coupe.

All the wood that was in the sedan was pretty much gone and the thought of the wood caused ne to sell it. Oh well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 10:25 am:

Centerdoors may be inconvenient and impractical, but they sure are pretty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 10:27 am:

Les,

Absolutely beautiful work you have done! I recently went to look at a center door for sale. I have always loved the look of the center doors, but wanted to try the getting in and out several times from both doors in different ways with and without a passenger. I ended up passing on the car for two reasons. 1. Was the difficulty in getting in and out plus my wife would never sit up front if I got it and that I would miss greatly! 2. Was the wood damage at the bottom rear of the door jams. The sheet metal was sticking out close to a half inch as the wood behind it was too far gone that it had appeared that the owner had used gray epoxy to hold it together (did not work). I figured that if bought the wood repair would just balloon out once getting into it. So, I am trying to find an early '22-'23 Fordor that the family can all enjoy together.

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

Looks sharp Les....those white treads really set it off. I like the prototype 15 with the coach lamps above the doors.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Sumner lapeer mi on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

Thank you all for the comments. It was a lot of work and I learned as I went on. Yes , the bones of this car came from St. Johns, Mi. My wife asked me after we had it all loaded up, how much did he pay you to take it? Ha Ha Les

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration