OT Windshield crack - crazy idea

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Windshield crack - crazy idea
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 06:48 pm:

My modern car has a crack in the windshield which I think will spread with time.

The crack is only in the outer layer of the safety glass, not in both layers.

Taking a cue from sheet metal work, i wonder if using a diamond drill to put a small hole into that first layer at the end of the crack would keep it from spreading.

Anybody ever heard of such a thing ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 07:00 pm:

Turn it over to your insurance company. Usually there is no deductible for windshields. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

Hit it with a BA hammer,then go see Insurance people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris George on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

I think a drill bit will cause a lot of heat next to the existing crack and possibly make it spread. I know what your trying to do though. I never liked driving any of my vehicles with even a slight imperfection on the windshield. I'd always be looking at it even if it wasn't in my view. Just replace it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

I have seen people try to scratch a line across the crack to stop it from spreading dont know if it realy works. I do know when you have a small crack and turn on the defroster it spreads!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

Your comp insurance will take care of it. If no insurance, a auto glass man can inject an epoxy into it to keep it from getting worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Thanks for all the suggestions. The windshield was going to be close to $300 to replace and my comprehensive deductible is $500.

The good news is I just got off the phone with a friend who informed me that Florida is one of a very few states that mandates that insurance companies must completely waive the deductible for windshield cracks. Of course the insurance company said it was not so until an agent looked up the policy.

With a free windshield coming I guess I won't get to try my idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 07:17 am:

I think that if you have a free windshield coming I would experiment on the old one so you know if it does indeed work but I would make sure the new windshield is already to be installed incase your experiment didn't work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 08:08 am:

Most insurance companies waive the deductible when it comes to windshield replacement. Always good for anyone to check first though before proceeding with the repairs. I had my wifes car that wasn't covered at the time due to a "glitch", that one cost me close to $300. More than likely it will crack sooner or later across it. It seems to be a rare case when that doesn't happen.

My wife and I both had rock chips on our vehicles. She was sitting in her car on lunch break when it suddenly just cracked right across. I was outside doing yard work, walked by my truck, it was fine, ten minutes later walked by again and it was cracked across.

On the flip side, I had two other trucks, both over ten years with chips that were never fixed and they never cracked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 08:30 am:

Last year we took a cruise out of Tampa, FL. One of the stops we took a local tour in an old Astro van. it had several cracks in the windshield with holes drilled at the end. I don't remember if any of the cracks went beyond the hole, but the holes sure were obvious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 09:18 am:

Bud

Call your FL auto insurance carrier agent.

FL law requires insurance companies to waive the deductible for windshield replacement. Doesn't cover other windows, but you can have free replacement down, many companies have on the spot contractors that drive to your home and do it on the spot.

My neighbor just had hers replaced from a stone damage. Free no cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 09:35 am:

By the way, my neighbors car is a Lexus SUV, new one. Remembered now, it wasn't a stone chip, but a fracture.

That 'fracture' was an intentional damage done by jacketed 'reps' for an epoxy windshield repair company. The rouge agents were wandering the Sam's Club parking lot, and came to her car as she was loading it with groceries. They said they were checking cars for windshield cracks, and grabbed the windshield wiper, and she said they drop it hard back on the glass and she heard a small sound she later told her husband.

Anyway the rascals lifted the wiper and showed her a small divot in the glass right near the wiper. They tried to do the epoxy fix for $50 but she said no and drove home.

Later the husband found out that divot was done on purpose, and he figured it was done with a spring loaded center punch disguised in the hand when those rats lifted and dropped the wiper. He went back to Sam's Club to complain, but they didn't know these reps were in their parking lot. He saw them working over another windshield and got the company name and called the national office, but they denied any such action by their reps.....so watch out if you see rouge agents in colorful vests wandering parking lots offering to 'check your windshield for cracks' :-(

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration