Another '25 Coupe Top Wood Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Another '25 Coupe Top Wood Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 02:11 am:

OK. I've got the wood plans from Ron Buckley(very nice by the way)and I'm kicking around ideas on how to use them. I hate to cut them apart to mark out the cut lines on the wood. I was thinking about using carbon paper and some sort of a wheel to trace the lines on the wood. I've been a weldor and fabricator most all of my adult life, but this wood working stuff is a bit new to me. Any thoughts? I don't know what I would do without this forum! Thanks in advance. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 06:25 am:

david, I used manil paper and traced all the patterns with carbon paper to make templates out of them that way I did not ruin the originals. What a work of art Ron did of making those prints, A very talented man!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 01:40 pm:

-David & Joe-
Sometimes, 'necessity becomes the mother of invention'.... The most helpful/useful wood working tool I've utilized is a 'home-made' set up for shaping wood pieces. Using scrap wood, steel shelf brackets, and a 4" belt sander clamped vertically in my bench vise. Keep the trigger engaged yet to only be 'alive' when it gets plugged in. Then with new wood stock, measuring tape, pencil, and square (maybe a pattern) - You should be in business. Cut wood over size, then sand to shape & fit. Be careful, as it will grind away quickly. My coupe benefits greatly, as I've even been able to make new, even add reinforcing up top and alongside.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 02:00 pm:

What's carbon paper?? :-)
Actually, I didn't know you could still buy it! That's a great idea Joe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 06:41 pm:

I have the old wood from two 25 coupes that were re-wooded, good for patterns. You or any one else that might want it are welcome to it, just pay for shipping or I can bring it to Chickasha in march. if you want it email me at pre15dake@ hotmail.com

Dale

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

Dale, I'm interested. I'll send you an email. Many thanks, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 11:03 pm:

Dale, your email kicked back. Send me a PM. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 03:13 am:

Dale, tried it again on a different email, still kicked back. Let me know what the shipping would be to zip code 64470. Many thanks. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 07:40 am:

Marv, One thing I found with Ron's plans is it was for a 24 canadian coupe with wooden doors, I found out after I made the wood for the top and all the rest of the skeleton that the top wood was 1 1/2 inches longer on the two main side rails. the rear window panel was tilted more on the canadian than the american so I had to make it a couple times to get it right so if you have the original top wood to go by I would use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 10:47 am:

-Joe & David-
Perhaps I have just been fortunate? Enough wood remained to provide the idea for a pattern. Think it through, measure twice (or more), and visualize. Measure again. Then cut & shape with lots of trial fitting. Keep your visual in mind. By not being a purist, the measure, shape, and trial fitting seems to be working out as I thought it would (wood? :-)) have been. Plus, Henry hadn't provided all the reinforcing I've been able to do!
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 11:45 am:

David, Sorry about that, I got one letter wrong in the e-mail address. didn't proof read well enough. It should be pre15dale@hotmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, I really appreciate them. Dale, thank you so much for your offer. Email has been sent. This forum is incredible. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration