Those Fires must be close, Allan Bennett.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Those Fires must be close, Allan Bennett.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 05:04 am:

I hope those fires burning near Adelaide (and moving at the speed of light) aren't impacting on you too much Allan.
Pretty horrendous scenes on the TV presently

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 08:03 am:

We dodged a bullet Rob. It was heading our way, from the north, pushed by 60+km/hr winds in 35 degree temps. A westerly change turned it left, opening a 40km wide front, but it went a few kms north of our farm.

My brother-in-law and son Anthony followed it with the farm unit, putting out whatever was burning after it had passed. It was way too dangerous to try to fight, so all efforts went into protecting property, to no avail in more cases than enough.

Then they drove around it to help protect Anthony's mate's new home near the Barossa Valley. It's still burning strongly in sustained gusty winds, but at least the weather is forecast to be just 20 degrees tomorrow.

All of this in grass, crops and stubble. Just too fierce and fast moving to tackle.

An old friend for whom I had done some T work still has his farmhouse, but all the sheds are gone.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 01:19 pm:

Be safe my friends!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 03:01 pm:

Allan,
This mornings news has images that are heartbreaking. It must have been a horrible night.
I, and I suspect everyone else here, are glad you're safe. Stay that way, eh?
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

Interesting that here in N. California, so far I've seen/heard nothing on the news about your fires. I find it strange what they decide is newsworthy nowadays. Too much stuff on actors, singers and such, too little on "hard news."
That's just IMHO.
We do wish you all well and stay safe, stuff isn't as important as lives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

David,
I'm sure it works both ways. We hear of natural disasters in the USofA too, but just how comprehensive the coverage is, we never know.

Those winds are here now.
About 60 or 70 meters to the west of my house is a substantial stand of Red Gums. Presently the wind is ripping through them, shredding them and depositing all the litter on and around my house. The noise is deafening.
But considering your situation Allan, I cant even begin to imagine just how frightening it must have been with these winds pushing a huge fire. Just the wind is scary enough.
I hope your friends T wasn't in one of the sheds.
All the best to you and everyone else in the area.
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

The 240km perimeter has been held overnight. Cooler conditions prevail. It will be a while before we know how many of our friends have been impacted.

We do know good muso friends have lost their home, recording studio and performance space. Ironically, we all enjoyed sitting around two huge bonfires at their recent 65th birthday party, enjoying a jam session with so many tallented folk.

Power is off at the farm and we have no idea when it will be restored. Curiously, it is still on just 3km away where Anthony lives on another lot we farm.

With so many loosing all, it makes me feel reluctant to get on with finishing our harvest. The canola is in, the barley is finished but all the wheat is still to be harvested. The miracle of it all is both the delivery sites to which we take our grain were both unscathed.

We have to go on though.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 03:15 am:

Let's hope cooler weather stays around, you can replace material things, but you can replace life. Hope and good thoughts for everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Partington on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 05:20 am:

ALAN, I WAS AT THE AIRSHOW AT TEMORA LAST WEEKEND, 43 DEGREES AT 5PM & A SUPER HOT WESTERLY I KNEW THAT THE NEXT FEW DAYS WOULD TURN TO SHIT. FULL ON HARVEST HERE IN SE QLD BUT I THINK THAT QLD'S TURN WILL COME IF THIS WEATHER PATTERN KEEPS GETTING HOTTER & DRYER.
TAKE CARE THE MODEL T WORLD NEEDS YOU.
DOUG

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration