Windshield question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Windshield question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Colegrove on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 07:15 am:

Good morning. I am installing a 1914 windshield on my speedster and have a question. After using the long brass rods which run from the hinge bolt to the front fender brackets and mounting the brass clips to the top of the firewall, it appears that I can't tilt the lower half of the windshield rearward because the top of the clips will interfere with (or bear on) the glass. The clips appear to be properly mounted to clamp on the windshield frame. Do these clips need to be shortened? Or am I missing something? Or if someone could post a photo of this detail it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 07:21 am:

The brass rods to the front fender brackets weren't used after 1912, so maybe that's why the clips interfere with a 1914 windshield?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 08:07 am:

Richard, I believe the back half of the clamps was shorter to allow the windscreen to lay back. On my friend's 1913 tourer, he sometimes has trouble with the screen jumping out of the clamps because of this.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 08:42 am:

Those clips are not brass in '14 and the rear one is definitely shorter than the front so you must have earlier clips. You are going to have to play with things to make them work and the same is true of the support rods as the support rods were designed for a straight up-and down windshield not one where the lower panel slants back unless you have a set from a Torpedo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Colegrove on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 09:04 am:

Thanks for the info. Having the wrong clamps would explain the problem. Hopefully, I can shorten the back parts of the clamps so they can work with the bottom windshield half tilted back. As for the support rods, they are longer than necessary with the windshield straight up and down, so again hopefully I can pull them back far enough to work.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration