What is this tool for?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What is this tool for?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Austin Baker on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Model-T-Spoke-Making-Tool-/401030287387?hash=ite m5d5f44901b:g:xpwAAOSwBLlVBw55&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

I think it tapers the end of a dowel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

That has absolutely nothing to do with making Model T spokes. Marc, has it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

I'm always amazed at the stuff on Ebay that gets labeled as "Model T", almost as if it is an era in time, like "classic" or "antique". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

It is called a spoke shave. I think it was used when making tapered ends for buggy spokes and some furniture making.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

Austin,
Marc is correct it is the first tool is used to cut a taper on a round piece of wood. This would be followed by a hollow auger to cut the tenon. The draw back is it cuts a square shoulder at the base of the tenon, creating a weak point
Jerry is also right in that most spoke makers use a duplicating lathe to make the spoke and cut the tenon, leaving a round shoulder at the base of the tenon, making a much stronger tenon.
I think the tool was most commonly used for chair making.
Here is a link to a hollow auger:
www.ebay.com/itm/1870-BONNEY-S-PATENTED-ADJUSTABLE-HOLLOW-AUGER-VINTAGE-HAND-TOO L-PARTS-BRACE-BIT-/331710050015

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Jack - I'm not that "up" on woodworking tools, but I think a spoke shave is similar to a draw knife. I'm only pretty sure of that because my Dad was quite a woodworker and boat-builder, and he used several types of planes as well as draw knife and something he called a spoke shave which as I recall was smaller than what he called a draw knife. Somebody else here will know,......FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

Harold you are correct. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

It's a huge pencil sharpener for turning the ends on chair spindles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

I have always been told they were,I have several sizes of draw Knives These old tools were something else.Made you work harder for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 01:55 am:

These are spokeshaves. I use them when hand making chamfers. One has a curved sole which enables it to be used on concave curves.

A draw knife is a much larger tool. It has a wide blade with a handle at each end, at right angles to the blade. The user pulls the tool towards himself when using it, hence the name drae knife. Spokeshaves are pushed away, as you would use plane

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration