OT license plates

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT license plates
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg pacana on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

Ok, now I'm known to have bad luck from time to time but......

Found 26 PA license plate for my one coupe, was gonna register it and someone must have the other plate cause it's already registered through the state! Lol

I never knew pa to have 2 plates. I'm scratching my head

Ever heard of this.
Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

A lot of states had two plates back in the day. I'm in Virginia, a state which has had two plates for almost every year since 1910, with only a few exceptions. Because of that, a single plate may be worth $10 or $20, while the same year pair might be worth $150-200.

I have a friend who deals in plates, and he always checks with the DMV to see if they're "legal" for YOM, or year of manufacture, as many states allow now.

As more cars are restored and registered YOM, it's getting harder and harder to find good plates....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

PA issued pairs from 1906 to 1943 and also from 1947 to 1951. All others were singles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 07:00 pm:

Using the year of car (original plates) here in Texas is legal but you have to go through the DMV to make sure the plate number is not in service.
I bought a 63 Ford Galaxie and was thinking about buying a 63 set of Texas plates when I found this out.
Its no big deal but if your buying only one plate from someplace its something to think about if your thinking about using it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

Here in Missouri the numbers used on 1920's plates are the numbers used for semi trailers, thus there is a high likelihood that the number is used. Due to privacy issues the state will not tell you who owns that number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg pacana on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 02:18 am:

if anybody is looking for plates there is a guy in gettysburg PA that has about 1000 plates. I will find my receipt from last time i was there and post the antique shops name number. if you call he has some kids working there and they will look through boxes for you. Its nice that i live about 2 hrs from the state park and i go there about 9 times a year. What a beautiful battlefield. he has boxes and boxes of plates. A lot of them are doubles. (front back)
plates run from 10 to 35 dollars depending on condition. Personally i have not seen a bad plate in his shop.
Thanks guys
Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 08:28 am:

Greg:

Please let us know the location. I am only 20 minutes from Gettysburg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

Here in Ontario, you can order YOM plates online. If I see a pair of old plates for sale, I just enter the plate number on the spot as if I'm placing an order but without completing the payment stage. It will show right away if the number is available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1 926+PA+license+plates.TRS0&_nkw=1926+PA+license+plates&_sacat=0

EBay link to PA plates, there are pairs. I've had the Motor Vehicle department tell a number was in use only to find out later it was different year plate. In Montana if the year of the plate is different you can use a duplicate number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg pacana on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 02:21 pm:

John I know this sounds crazy but I never thought to just search PA plates (duh on my part)
There are some nice plates at a good price for sure, thanks again for the link.

Hi Mark, I can't find the name of place.
It is a military surplus/ gift shop selling guns and swords and such things.i can't find the name but it's on steinwehr avenue across from the Gettysburg heritage building. They always have flags a flying outside. Very dark but friendly place. Plates all along the walls and box after box after box on the floor.
Thanks
Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 02:24 pm:

The link below is how to check if PA plates are in use. The YOM plates are basically a vanity plate that the owner supplies. For example, the two '26 plate numbers in the photo are good numbers if checked against the site.

https://www.dot4.state.pa.us/vehicle_services/AmsServlet.jsp#top?20151126142042227=20151126142042227

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration