Brass magnet screws Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Brass magnet screws Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

I just got a set of brass screws and when I install them on the ring gear they barely make the other side ,
Question is, did I get a bad repro part or do I cut the starting gear deeper so I can peen them
Thank you ,lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

I am using the repro gear and the right screw for it , I do not use the magneto, is there a screw that I can use , stainless or steel substitute?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Lorenzo, if they come flush you should be able to take a small center punch and stake them in about three places and should hold. I always do this instead of peening them over. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

At my age, I've unhooked a fair number of bras, but never encountered one fastened with screws.... :-)

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. Back to your regular programming.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

Lorenzo

Be sure you have the proper brass screws.

If the ring gear is a new reproduction, you must use the reproduction screws made special, modern 1/4" x 14 thread.

If you are reusing an original ring gear, you must use original #14 x 24 thread which is an obsolete thread. Only NOS or screws made to original thread form will work.

This is what happens with original #14 x 24 brass screws in a reproduction new ring gear, won't fit all the way, and threads get chewed up and stick before entering all the way through the new ring gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson Salty Bottom, AL on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

I think the photo will show how Keith Barrier "stakes" the screws.

Keith knows magnetos. He was our main guide at the Magneto University several years ago.

Staking brass screws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

Are the repro gear screws 1/4 x 14 or 1/4 x 24? In either case it's a non standard screw thread. The number 14 x 24 is rare these days but it is a standard thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 08:50 am:

Originals are #14x24; repros are 1/4"x24.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 09:56 am:

Ill have to peen them with a center punch like KGB recommends, If I find regular steel bolts the same size with a countersunk head ill use them instead ,I am not using the mag. just the magnets
Thank you all ,You guys are great
Happy thanksgiving to all...lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

I suggest you not use any ferrous materiel.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 01:34 pm:

Ron - Just curious as to why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

If using the magnets for generating electricity, brass would be the only right choice, but Lorenzo isn't planning to use the magneto.

For holding the ring gear without any magnets I used M6 steel bolts since they almost fit and the difference between the 24 tpi in the flywheel tread and the 25.4 tpi in the M6 bolts made the bolts stick in place after just going through the flywheel so staking was almost unneeded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 09:59 am:

Ferrous screws would. Interfere with the electromagnetic coupling of the magnets. This is why the magnet spools are Aluminum and the clamp screws are Brass.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 10:04 am:

we sell the original thread screws, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

Ron - Perfect sense for those using magnets. I just didn't see a problem for those who prefer to build a motor without them like Lorenzo.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration