Old Photo - Brass Era - Neither Rain Nor Sleet Nor........

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Brass Era - Neither Rain Nor Sleet Nor........
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

Should have imported a Canadian car for that...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 08:59 am:

Thank you for posting the early photo. It appears to be a 1909 after approximately #2500 but before the tie bar was added to the lower part of the radiator. And with the "no windshield" option -- earlier rather than later in that time window.

In Bruce's (R.I.P.) listing of about every 100th shipping document, Oct 12, 1909 was the last one I noticed that was shipped without the windshield. There could have been others later, but of the partial listings I scanned the later ones appeared to have windshields.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 09:03 am:

Tim,I have fond memories of our 5'th wheel trip around Lake Superior and espc the campground,river,trails,and logging camp by Thunder Bay!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Herb posted the same photo a couple of weeks ago: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/585275.html?1447090929

Here's a rerun of my comment from that thread: ( :-) )

The Joroleman standard tunnel shaped mailbox wasn't designed until 1915, so the Ford must have been quite some years old when the photo was shot.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030528200109/http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/resourc es/6a2m_soapboxes.html

Doesn't look like a modern photo.. Maybe a publicity photo for Ford about how many years and miles it's been driven, still looking good? But the tires looks like smoothies and I don't think they were sold after the late teens?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 10:33 am:

My grandfather started delivering mail with a horse and buggy. Around 1916 he bought a new Ford and for 50 years he got a new one every year. Unlike is grandson he kept his spotless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 11:20 am:

What Roger didn't mention was the speed in which the U.S Postal Service made their decision in choosing the new standard box design... "in 1901 the US Postal Service created a commission for a standardized mailbox and reviewed sixty-three designs submitted by prospective manufacturers. The guidelines established that the mailboxes should be made of sheet steel, preferably galvanized, and should have a durable sign that would signal the presence of mail. The committee initially approved fourteen of the submitted designs. In 1915 another committee was set to review new and existing designs in order to update and improve the service."

The USPS has maintained this tradition of "speedy" decision making to this very day! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration