Old Photo - Brass Era - Roughing It In The Pacific Northwest

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Brass Era - Roughing It In The Pacific Northwest
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 11:34 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Lawrence - Nevada City, CA on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

Fairly new 1913 touring with interesting front spring loaded front bumper. It looks like snow on the ground and on the downed tree just to the front of the car in the background. That may be the reason they have tire chains on the rear tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

Note the repair boot on the left front tire.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 03:16 am:

Roughing it? Naw....Looks just like my property. I should look around and see if they are still there. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 11:21 am:

Keep 'em coming Jay!! I just love the size differences between folks today and those 100 years ago. Think you could get 3 full grown women in the back seat of a '13 touring today?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 11:32 am:

Thanks for posting Jay. I'm not so sure it's chain or rope. It looks like the rows don't go around the rim. Maybe a solid cleated tire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 11:42 am:

Looks like a snow tire to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

1910 Ford, serial #15480 belonging to Samuel Gibeau of Red Lake Falls, Minnesota.

First photo most likely taken in 1910 or 1911 due to absence of front license plate.

Second photo taken in 1912, '13 or '14 due to Minnesota 1912-13-14 three year plate.

Note booties on tires. In first photo, the booties are clean. In second photo, the booties are full of mud. The 1913 above may have similar booties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

That brass is looking mighty nice. Trick with photoshop or a sign that some folks kept their early Fords looking fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

Erik - Two nice photos for sure. I think maybe the "booties" as you call them in your two pictures are what are on the rear wheels of the car in Jay's photo. Interesting that in your first photo Eric, the "booties" are ONLY on the front wheels! They are an interesting accessory for sure. Bet they were very expensive back in the brass "T" era. A tough job putting them on too I'll bet. I can just imagine the improvement in traction they would provide on those early "treadless" tires!

Nic pictures all,....an an interesting thread,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

NICE,...not nic,.....dang it anyway! As Stan says,....Poofread, prufreed,...!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

Harold an interesting thread AND tread!

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 03:42 am:

Eric, nice pictures. I have never seen those "booties" before or any adds for them. Very interesting. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

Hmmm...I would guess they are made of leather and fitted with metal studs. If so, a good idea for ice but no advantage in mud and sand. Rare perhaps because people knew rope or chains worked better?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 04:05 am:

Constantine, I'm sure they would help some in mud and snow, not as good as chains though no doubt. They had to be better than the smooth tires. As for sand, I would think the smooth tires would be better. JMHO. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration