Clutch finger setting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Clutch finger setting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

This is probably for R V Anderson, I have a Watts clutch pack in all three of my cars and I have a question on the height of the collar that the fingers push against, the Ford clutch is 13/16" but the Watts is a little thicker, I have the modified push ring but the finger adjusting screws are screwed all the way in, I have probably 4000 miles on this one and I may have it adjusted too tight! Any ideas? Thanks

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

Rick -- The 13/16" measurement should work with the Watts clutch. This handy tool makes it easy to gauge, even in the car.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3339.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 05:22 am:

You haven't adjusted too tight if you still have a free neutral, I think?
I modified the push ring and adjusted to the recommended 13/16" initially, but the clutch slipped terribly with my high compression (5.8:1) engine. Had to adjust the screws half a turn at time a couple of times after that and now it slips only uphill with a fully loaded pickup when I give it full throttle. May have to adjust more, when out of adjustment there's a risk the Watts needs replacing - if the spring is strong enough, so make sure it isn't a weak spring that causes the need to screw in the adjusting screws so much?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 08:03 am:

Roger brings up a good point. The Watts clutches RV sells come with a stronger-than-stock spring to help prevent slipping. If using a stock spring, it might not be strong enough.

The 13/16" measurement is a starting point. Often they will need some adjustment from that point, and after some use they will need an adjustment as a matter of course. When I drove my '15 Touring to the Centennial, it had a newly-rebuilt engine and a new Watts clutch with less than 100 miles on the rebuild. Fifty miles into the trip, the clutch began slipping to the point that the car wouldn't pull itself. I stopped and adjusted the clutch, and it made the rest of the 1,800-mile trip just fine after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 09:57 am:

OK, thanks I pulled the engine and checked the disc's they seem to be OK, the spring is good maybe I was overthinking the problem, I have a Z head, .250 cam and a Scat crank with no magnets and a Pertronix ignition, it runs great I was just concerned about the adjustment.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

I figured out my problem, the ends of the fingers are worn down causing the adjustment screws to go in all the way for proper adjustment, I have some fingers that are in almost unused condition so I will use them.

Rick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration