4" - 4 1/2" dropped axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 4" - 4 1/2" dropped axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

I'm looking for someone who will make me a 4" - 4 1/2" dropped axle. Any ideas?

Sid at Droppedaxles.com only does up to 3".

Tom

Dropped Axle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

Joe's Speed Shop in Ponca City, OK does drops of all sizes. He usually works on Model A's and V-8's, but I bet he'd do a T one if you'd send him one.

http://www.joesspeedshop.com/joesproducts.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 04:42 am:

You'll need a narrower front spring too - and the tie rod will have to be shortened. Was used by some back in the day - here's a photo from 1937:

gowy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 08:07 am:

It looks like both of those cars in the pics have modified steering as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 11:12 am:

that guy should be saving up for some tires, instead of blowin all his dough on that floozy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 11:36 am:

Thanks Mike (and Roger). I called Joe's Speed Shop, but he doesn't do T axles. Frustrating trying to find someone to do what I need.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 12:32 pm:

Hey Clayton.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

Contact Sid at www.droppedaxles.com
Ph 405 416 3080
420 W Springer
Guthrie OK
He will do dropped Model T axles. Don't know about 4"
Website shows 3". But may be worth a call
Check him out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

Thanks Mike. Already asked Sid. 3" max.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

Tom, Get out your torch and give that Gabby drop a shot. I did it with a oxygen/acetylene torch a bench vise and 45 degree angle straight edge. It is easier than you'd imagine. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

Tom get the 3" dropped axle and reverse the eyes on your spring and that will get you close to 4" drop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

Overland or Chevy spindles could also drop the axle another inch: https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.mtfca.com/discus/ messages/411944/427375.html%3F1393954226&ved=0ahUKEwiNm4q6qbLJAhXns3IKHcB5CqsQFg gZMAA&usg=AFQjCNFXCJ7P6GE1TSIESNHeUninKp_adg&sig2=ao8VA3edK7GmOYexwF9I9Q

(picture of Mike Robison's home dropped axle in the thread)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 12:30 am:

Hi Mike, torch? I don't own one :-) So that nixes that.

John, my basis has been a 3" dropped axle, the reversed spring eyes and the '26-'27 spindles. I need another 1", preferably 1 1/2" in front.

Roger, interesting! From http://www.jalopyjournal.com/testsite/community/index.php?threads/period-pre-192 8-speedster-photos.579644/page-2, it looks as though I would gain 3/8 " over my '26-'27 spindles, not quite enough of a drop.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 12:33 am:

BTW, after I called Joe's Speed Shop and asked his wife if Joe would do a 4" dropped axle and she said he doesn't do T axles (said talk to Sid), later on Joe called me and we talked about some ideas.

I just wanted to add, what a NICE guy. I'd have him do work if I needed work done on later year cars: http://www.joesspeedshop.com

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:29 am:

Tom they used to heat the spring just out from the eye and put a bend there which may give you another inch. I've seen a number of pictures with that bend in the spring. Naturally I can't find a picture now. I have no idea what that does to handling or ride, if anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 12:11 am:

John,

I've looked at that too. I would have liked if that were an option, but have heard too many either say doing that makes for a rougher ride or stress fractures can occur in that spot.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 07:53 am:

This may help

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/128984.html?1285362150

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

30 yrs. ago, I bought a 4" dropped axle from a company named Mor-Drop in Oakland or Alameda, Ca. I don't know if they are still in business or not. I had to heat and reshape the ends in order to get the 26-27 spindles to fit. With the drop that far it narrowed the track some. Using a stock front spring it still lowered the car to the point that the pan would hit the tie rod. So I reshaped a tie rod with a dip in it and that happened to correspond the narrowing of the track. It all worked great and I drove the car across the U.S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

Why is he wanting a 4in. dropped axle? Wouldn`t that cause an oil return problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

I am building a gowjob from the ground up. I have a '24 roadster body, frame, both axles and A wheels. I am going to drop the rear 5" with

Lowering brackets

My original plan was to get a 3" dropped axle from Sid, invert the spring eyes, and use '26-'27 spindles. That gives me 4 5/8" drop in front. I was hoping to get 6"-6 1/2" in front, so the car has a bit of a rake. The 4" dropped axle shown in my first post would give me what I need.

However, and as Tom mentioned, the track is narrowed, and with the way Antique Auto Ranch is adapting the '26-'27 spindles to my A wheels, that would reduce the track even further. Because of this (thanks Tom... in a good way :-), I have decided to forego the 4" dropped axle.

There are many other ways to accomplish a larger drop. But my sticking point is the fact I love the stock look of the T front-end. That means no axle out in front of the radiator.

So at this point, I might have to settle for a level T. Life could be worse :-)

Rick, I don't know the answer regarding an oil return problem with a 4" dropped axle. I haven't gotten that far yet.

I have been told that stock T's are naturally set with a bit of a rake anyway. So even with my 5" in back and 4 5/8" in front, I would still show a small rake.

I'm always open to suggestions regarding my project and appreciate every one's answers.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

Tom
One caution
The oil drain plug gets awfully close to the ground!! I've learned the hard way!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

Yes if you drop the back end to it would be the same for oil return. I didn`t know what you was building, Cool! I1m thinking of building a speeder also. My dad had what he called a strip down back in his younger day. But that`s a thought. Keep us posted how your doing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

Les,

Thanks, I am walking that fine line and trying to stay on the safer side.

Rick, when I bought my frame 4 years ago, it was for a speedster. Since then, I decided on a gowjob. Love both and all T's.

"Yes if you drop the back end to it would be the same for oil return." Can you clarify?

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 12:11 am:

Just FYI- Mor-Drop is no longer in business. Marty passed away several years ago and the family scrapped the entire shop including hundreds of Ford axle cores from Model Ts up to the 50's including all the presses, fixtures, and shop equipment. The building is now rented out as a warehouse and the exterior serves as a canvas for the local graffiti monsters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 01:01 am:

-Hi, Tom-
Not wanting to be sacrilegious on the Forum, check out Speedway in Nebraska. They sell a Model A front crossmember which would give you a 2" drop by itself. Combined with your dropped axle just might provide what you're looking for. It also might make things a whole lot easier for you up front.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 01:56 am:

Tom - I think Rick's first comment was about only lowering the front - that would cause quite a radical stance and possibly an oil return problem.. :-)

Marv - Wouldn't it be hard to fit the T front motor mount on a Model A front crossmember? I think the Model A front spring is 1-3/4" wide while the T is 1-1/2", thus the A crossmember would also be wider?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 01:26 pm:

Roger - You are correct about the width - Just went out to the shop and measured the TT and the A member. (I am using the A member with the new chassis for 'Cranky'.) There is a 1/4" difference. Since Tom will need to 'reconfigure' the rest of his steering's tie-in components (as will I), Speedway, Posie's, Bell, etc. have different offerings of springs. (Length, width, perches.) Sorry guys, but Tom's dropped axle for a T isn't being a 'purist' either, so things sometimes just need to be figured out. Those are the challenges that make it fun. As for utilizing the front motor mount, a 'stretch-extension' of that piece would be needed. The beneficial aspect is that the oil flow question makes the front of the engine actually 2" higher. Just trying to think things through as a builder.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 02:18 pm:

To clarify - The TT member (outside) is 2", while the A member is 2 1/4". Using an original spring may require 'help' inside the member? 'Cut, shape, and weld'???
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 03:07 pm:

Tom, use a 2 1/2 drop axle with the 3" Laurel lowering brackets to get your drop. MG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rose on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

Call Bryan Schmid at 209 969 8744 he has dropped axlesdropped axle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 01:07 am:

Guys,

I leave for the day and come back to a lot of creative thinking! I am trying to keep this gowjob fairly close to stock.

Marv, with a flatter crossmember, that means the front engine mount won't have any room. Or to have room, many other changes may need to be made.

Roger, thanks for oil return clarification.

MG, sounds good, except I decided I don't want the axle out in front of the radiator.

Jim,

I talked with Bryan... nice guy, thanks!

Oh, today I decided I will stay with my original plan. I really want to see what the car will look like lowered 5" with the dropped axle. I think I will be more likely to change from that to the suicide axle, than start with the suicide axle and go back to the dropped axle.

Tom

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration