Leaking water pump

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Leaking water pump
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 11:02 am:

Popeye had a leaking water pump that slung coolant all over the engine compartment until the coolant ran low. After that it would run hot since there was not enough coolant in the cooling system. Tightening the packing nut would make the pump stop turning but had no effect on the constant leakage.

It is all better now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 11:23 am:

A horn instead of a water pump. Now that's a GREAT idea. Looks like a magneto horn too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 11:39 am:

I think you'll find that the horn is inadequate for slinging coolant and grease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 12:01 pm:

It is a battery horn, this car came originally with generator and starter. Makes a great sound!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 12:32 pm:

I have been running a Texas T water pump for over 10 years with no leaking problems. They use a stainless steel shaft/impeller with modern seals and sealed bearings. Would not run a water pump if it were not necessary for my car.....do not believe all model T's are created equal. On flat land I can get away from needing a water pump....where I live there is one steep hill after another. With the water pump, it is seldom (A Year Or More) that I ever add any coolant to the Brass Works Radiator.
I enjoy driving our model T without worrying about overheating problems. All the problems with water pumps on model T's that I have seen were due to outdated pump designs. Running the same engine for over 15 years and no major problems or bearing adjustments....my back up engine has a Scat crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

With no grease it would not take a genius to see it would leak and fail.Shoulden't there have been a grease cup in the open hole ?? One think sure as a wheel chock it will not need grease and without grease that's all it's good for!!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

Bud,

That open hole is tapped 7/16" - 14 NC. It is not a place for a grease fitting.

The car will not overheat without a water pump. Just like any other good running T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

What I find interesting, Mr Peterson, is that you wasted the effort of putting a wrench to a WATER PUMP in an attempt to make it "WORK" in the first place. Are you advocating "Status Quo" for Fords with WATER PUMPS? <grin> :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 03:19 pm:

Well!
Here we go again! :-)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 03:25 pm:

Bob,

I tried the adjustment. That didn't work so I had to order parts to stop the leaking permanently.

I tried the zero dollar solution first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

Ah !! The Jelfian approach (LOL)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

It was my intention to buy a new pump when I started on my project T but after reading on here for the last couple years I see no need for the pump unless the radiator is bad!! Just good info from the kind people on this site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 07:37 pm:

My 1927 touring had a water pump when I got it. There was not as much grease on the outside as I usually find. But when I opened up the engine to just do a good check of everything, and see why it was overheating, the water jackets were half full of grease. And the radiator was a mess. I like to never got all the grease out of the block and radiator. I ended up using two cans of Crystal Draino. I wont go as far as Royce and cut them in half, but all my water pumps are now "wheel chocks", or "wall art" Just my 2 cents worth and probably not worth that much ... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

Popeye's girl friend, Olive Oil had a leaking front oil seal that slung oil all over the engine compartment until the oil ran low. After that it would run hot since there was not enough oil in the crankcase oiling system. Tightening the packing by shoving Olive Oils old Kotex around the seal area, would make the crank stop turning, but had no effect on the constant oil leakage.

Yes, friends, you to can have a leaking water pump, and a oil gushing front oil seal if you have your very own Royce, or Olive Oil unhandy fixless people.

Or, if you know how to rebuild water pumps and engines, you will have neither.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 04:57 am:

I have flat tube radiators(not new ones but older aftermarket) on both my '23 TT, and the'25 coupe. Both of them have been subjected to some VERY extreme conditions, and neither one ever overheated. No water pump on them either. With the old round tube radiators that "looked good" and didn't leak, I had a lot of problems. The only reason that I didn't change them out sooner was I couldn't afford new ones. I finally found good ones on ebay that were very affordable. A good radiator doesn't have to be a new one, but they are nice. JMHO. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration