Pretty girl with a nice rear!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Pretty girl with a nice rear!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

I wonder if this is a uniform of some sort?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

Another great old time photo.

That is the new official MTFCA uniform. Members will be required to wear it on all official functions and outings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

If we are voting, I like the other girl cranking the car in her bikini. Just say,n

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 02:10 pm:

I am with you robert. this gal aint that bad, but, Christina's picture is on the shop wall as we speak. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

Dennis, this is the new MTFCA women's uniform. The men's uniform is a kilt.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 03:08 pm:

With the high collar and leggings that looks like a WWI doughboy uniform. All that's missing is the campaign hat or the steel helmet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

I have couple WWI uniforms,and used to sometimes wear them for parades. I am part Scottish. But really do not plan to wear a kilt, thank you very much.
Great photo!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

Nothing wrong with wearing a kilt, Wayne.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

In the Great War the German soldiers referred to the Scottish Highland Regiments (Kilt wearing fierce fighters, must be the wool that makes them so mean) as the ladies from Hell. The Highland Regiments wore the plaid with a kaki cover during the beginning of the war, later changing to the standard uniform.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

Is that a short girl, or a really tall car?? Either way, she's pretty cute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 07:14 pm:

Tim, settle down...she's taken...look at the rock on her left hand...sheesh, it might really BE a rock, to show in the picture...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

Maybe shes a Doughgirl??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

She's just your size, Tim. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

" Nothing wrong with wearing a kilt, Wayne.... "

=====================================

Nothing wrong with bagpipe noise either, IF you like
the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Ritchie on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

They feared the highland charge for many years, flying kilts and no underwear.
That made them turn and run.
Till this very day my Scottish heritage has inspired many a highland charge albeit solo when I feel cornered.
Nothing like a one man highland charge to let folks know you mean business...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

You mean like this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 01:10 am:

I won't knock anyone for wearing a kilt! My Scottish heritage would not allow it. However, it somehow does not appeal to me.
The Scots have a lot of history to be very proud of. As do many peoples. I have always been very proud of my ancestors.

Bagpipes on the other hand? I love the sound of bagpipes!!!!!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 03:11 am:

How are these Wayne? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgzZLNwqvdQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 05:54 am:

David & Mike, seems like you both know me!! ;) Could that be a Peacoat?

As with so many neat old pics you guys post, my mind starts to thinking of "what was the history?"...she's no doubt dead, what kind of life did she have, family, etc.? Somewhere out there is a survivor who might be thrilled to death to have this picture of her. If only....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 11:39 am:

You guys are missing a small detail in the first picture and the reference of Christina cranking the T. Its winter in the first picture (note no leaves on the trees) and summer in the frequently-posted picture of how to crank a T in high heels.
The gal in the first picture is wearing the MTFCA Winter outfit and the gal in the picture NOT yet shown in this thread is wearing the Summer outfit :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

Royce;
Looks like your picture negative is reversed, according to the buttons on her uniform

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

Richard,

I don't think so. She is likely wearing a WWI man's army surplus jacket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

How do we know the rear is nice. It may have worn babbitt thrust washers and razor sharp or chipped teeth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

If you scale the picture vertically, using the outer diameter of a rear tire as 30 inches, adjust slightly for depth of field, she appears to be well over 5 feet tall, maybe even approaching 6 feet. The back of that body, for some reason, seems abnormally high to me....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

Oh, I forgot Royce is always right

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

Picture of a pretty girl and a T, and the discussion is about buttons...wow...guess we all just wish we were in that time and place to discuss buttons with her! It's a great and haunting picture, as mentioned, who is/was she, why the picture and the clothing, and such..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 02:33 am:

Not to push the drift too far? But Flame-throwing bagpipes!? Cool! (Now there is a word I don't use often.) Interesting performance, and the music was great!
Thanks Doug M!

Going back to the original picture. The white sidewalls show fairly well on all three visible tires. I am getting more interested in the tire aspect of early automobile history and noticing more and more old photos that do show this characteristic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 10:36 am:

She is wearing a M1917 army jacket, but I doubt it is surplus. This photo was taken either early in 1919 or late 1919, more likely late 1919. All US troops were issued a new uniform when they were shipped home after the war ended in June of 1919, some were shipped home before the end of the war but after the Armistice. This photo is taken after her boy friend/husband returned and not before as can be deduced by the puttees she wears on her calves. The canvas leggings shown in the photo posted by Jim Patrick were discarded when the troops arrived in France and replaced with the wrap leggings (puttees)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 11:06 am:

The uniform is a pretty good fit; maybe it's hers, not a man's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 11:12 am:

I also thought that would be her uniform unless she is dating or married to a very petite man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 11:25 am:

David estimated above that she is over five feet and possibly closer to six. At that time, that would have been tall for a woman, I think, and it is quite likely that her boyfriend or husband might be about the same height. I'm 5'7" and it seems fairly clear that my T was designed for someone about my height. I fit a lot more comfortably in a T that my 6'+ friends do. Also can't think why a woman at that time would be wearing her own military uniform in a man's style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 11:27 am:

I did not say the jacket belonged to a man. It has the buttons arranged as in the photo of the soldier above; i.e. it is a men's jacket, not a ladie's jacket.

If it was issued to her, I wonder how that would be possible? Were women allowed in the US Army in 1919?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 11:34 am:

It's vaguely possible she was a driver for an officer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 11:40 am:

I can't imagine a woman in the military around WWI wearing a man's uniform.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/2011/09/women-in-uniform-world-war-i-edition. html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Schrepfer on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 11:57 am:

I say she is ticked off because she just had to change that spare tire and is late for her salvation army meeting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 01:58 pm:

I would imagine that her man just came back from the war and they took several pictures. Film and processing were a bit expensive by today's digital standards, so likely only a few photos were taken. That was somewhat of a "bonding ritual" for some couples when he returned.

Me being six foot even, I had some difficulty getting uniforms that really fit me. But I did manage look okay in them. The best one I had, I probably could not wear anymore. I did have one that was a larger size that I could probably still use. I bought it when I did so that I could hopefully use it when I got old and fat.
There were also a Women's Motor Corps and various nursing and supply groups operating in relatively safe areas. They had Women's versions of uniforms. A very good friend and his wife have one that she used to wear often in parades. She would drive the T while we rode and waved at the crowds.

So much history to know and honor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

The more I look at the picture, it appears her feet are in a depression in the ground, lower than the T's wheels. I'm still thinking 5' 6" minimum for her height, based on tire diameter.

I also believe it's a man's uniform, based on button placement....buttons sewed to right flap men's, to left flap women's, pretty standard for a long time...what an interesting picture, though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 02:37 pm:

Tried searching Google images for the picture. Got three hits. All of them were this thread on the forum.... :-)_

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 02:39 pm:

Gustaf in Idaho is the resident expert on WW1 uniforms - he may chime in with some input?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

Roger,

Go up 11 threads counting yours and you will see that Gustaf did identify the uniform.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

Oh, sorry, missed that :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

We did a Government contract making Army Dress Blues. They haven't changed the uniforms much at all over the years. The flaps and epaulets are still the same shape. Kind of strange they decided to go to a Navy Blue.

Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

The lady is backed up against two very good scales of measure albeit on a slight slope:

1. The touring car whose tack rail is 54 inches high, and
2. The rear bucket panel which is 36" wide at its top.

Also, from her mouth to the top of her head is no more than 7 inches.

The lady is very likely a petite 5'-2" tall.

The touring car seems very high to the small lady because that #4 bow is 6 feet 8 inches high on the two-man top.

The car appears to be a late 1920 with the pressed steel channel running board supports and the "L" top iron supports.

I believe we have worked this one over pretty well.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

The women who served in WWI wore their own uniforms, they were not like the men's uniforms. As Wayne said, most uniforms of the period are very small.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

The car has accessory lever shocks that have raised the tire to fender location. The car is setting high.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

Lots of preoccupation with the gal's height.

If you want to be more scientific:

For a "three light" rear top curtain, the inside measurement of an accessory metal glass frame is typically 8 1/2" in height, regardless of brand (the metal frames are designed to fit over and line up with the existing openings in the rear curtain).

With the above info in hand, someone can figure out how tall this woman is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 01:14 am:

Wherever it is, it looks to be in the winter and cold. If I'm not mistaken there is snow on the ground and a small mound of it on the left rear fender. That might explain why she's wearing a heavy wool Army uniform. Might be the warmest thing she could find. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 11:43 am:

With Erik's rear curtain measuring strategy, the gal is about 5"-0" tall. But, it appears she is trying to appear taller. She is standing on her toes.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration