Removing engine and hogshead from Warford. Where to make the break?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Removing engine and hogshead from Warford. Where to make the break?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 05:33 pm:

I asked this question a few months ago and was directed to not to remove the engine just for cleaning and painting. After trying that, I've decided I need to remove the engine and hogshead to do what I want to do.

This 26/27 has a Warford installed after the U joint and before the rear driveshaft.

I'm getting an engine hoist in the next few days from a friend and am getting ready to lift it out. I removed the 4 bolts that connect the Warford to the U joint and it is loose. But I'm readying about driving out a pin in order to make the break at that point.

Am I better off disconnecting the rear driveshaft from the Warford and keeping the Warford and the U joint and the hogshead together as a unit?

I'm not really going to do any teardown or work on the drivetrain, just ned it seperated from the frame so I can do some engine and frame work seperately.

Hope this photo shows my set up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

You should be able to take the four ball cap bolts out at the hogs head and pull the engine right out. If you decide to pull the warford after this it will be easier by its self as its heavier than you think. Yours does not appear to have the u-joint between the warford and hogs head. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 06:02 pm:

Unbolt the Warford from the engine and leave it in the frame. The other way will make the entire job awkward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 06:22 pm:

Make sure to support the Warford underneath when leaving it in the frame. Didn't want to assume you knew that and you have an issue later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

The Warford appears to have a brace bolted to it that runs in the inner from, but is not bolted to it. I may have to correct that. But, it appears that it will not drop down on it's own. I will support it with a jack stand just to take the stress off the frame.

I have unbolted four bolts from the hogshead and the warford that appear to hold on a grease cap type fitting. I presume this is the U joint. The 4 bolts I remooved were two on top with castle nuts and bolts and two on the bottom that were threaded into the hogshead.

I'm loosed, but not seperated at the junction between the hogshead and the warford where this packed grease fitting is. Am I good to start lifting the engine out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 07:24 pm:

Robert. If removing the engine, just remove the four bolts from the hogshead/pan to the Warford, and the engine will just slide off the u-joint. also support the front of the Warford as Chad suggested. They are heavy and could bend something if left unsupported. If for some reason you were not removing the engine, then you would have to remove the rear end, to remove a Warford. I remember from your earlier posts that you were trying to decide to keep the Warford or remove it for your WW1 light patrol project. Now would be the time to change back to a stock driveshaft and radius rods if you still are wanting to remove it. Just something to think about. All that would be required is a stock length drive shaft torque tube assembly with radius rods. Im sure there is someone who would want the Warford and have the parts you need and still have a little something left over to buy more things for your project. Submitted with respect... Donnie Brown .......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

The Warford can't sag very far before it rests on the brake cross shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

Got it out. Once I found that one last bolt at the bottom on the engine connected to a wishbone brace type thingy, it came right up and out.

Time to clean and paint.

Thanks to all.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration