Todays view in the shop, and speedster project update.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Todays view in the shop, and speedster project update.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

Well today is the official start of my "shop work season" The day after Thanksgiving is when "Dad" gets to work on his stuff. I have till Chickasha in March that everyone is supposed to leave me alone and solve there own problems :-). So today I started getting the speedster project out of mothballs from last March. I hope to have it all assembled and maybe not finished but should be close. So here are a few pics of how it sits now, and my current "view" of the shop. I almost have all the wood done, and I just need to fit the two sheet metal sides to the trunk area. I also have to make a skirt for below the body to hide the frame. Ill post a pic of a period car I found that is almost like my car. That is the period look Im going for. We have even started buying the clothes like they have on, to wear in our car when its done .:-) We have found it all except I still need to find a wool coat for me. A lot of you had to endure my postings last year, so here we go again :-) ... Thanks for all the input and ideas that everyone has given me so far.

A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

That is cool, someday I hope to build a speedster. Looks like you have a perfect project there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

It looks like it's coming together, Donnie. When I saw the body (your then-new purchase) at Chickasha last March, I thought it would never make a car. :-)

You talked about leaving it scruffy looking (aka "patina"), but note that the example you like is painted, and even has pinstripes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

Mike look real close at the original pic. It has dents, flaking paint (looks to be failing from improper paint prep over galvanize) dirt and mud :-) just like mine will have :-) here is a link to the last post I did last fall and some more of the different thread links, for anyone who is not already tired of the "speedster project" :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/535335.html?1430535812

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

Here is a picture of my friends speedster he built. It travels at death causing speed said the cop that clocked him...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

Don, nice speedster. Getting the proportions and "stance" right is the hard part, and that one looks great...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

Donnie, Been looking forward to you picking up where you left off

How did the aging of the tank go under the wet leaves?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

Keep it up Donnie. It's really looking good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 10:00 pm:

Looking great Donnie, looks like you wont have to stop for gas too often...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

Donnie-

Nice work. What color will it be?
Please tell me that you plan to do the pinstriping.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

I'm A GLUTTIN FOR PUNISHMENT Donnie, make me endure more pictures of your speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

Please keep up with updates.
Half the fun is seeing your car come together.
The other half is looking at all the eye-candy in the background.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

lookin good

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 10:19 am:

Chad, the aging of the tank went pretty good. I only "soaked" it two more weeks. I got so sidetracked this summer I forgot to put it back in the leaf pile. It currently looks like the last pic I posted above. Its close to the old metal, but I think Ill put it back in the leaf pile for a few more weeks, while Im working on the rest of the body. Keith, the color Im using is called "patina" :-). Im planning on leaving everything in as-is condition. I had to paint the firewall, because of all the welding and hole fixing I had to do to it (but I have started aging it), and the gas tank will need aged, but the rest of the car is original parts with patina, and the trunk sheet metal cover is to be made from used galvanize sheet metal that is old, dented, and rusty. It matches the body tub very well. Im also hoping that other than the steering column wedge/bracket, the windshield frame, and the gas tank, that everything else is original parts (not counting hoses, wires, belts, ect). Im not going to use any modern upgrades. If it was not available in aprox 1929 to very early 30s or before, Im not using it. I see the car as something a college age person would have built during the depression/flapper era ... I was lucky and found a completely overhauled 27 engine at the Estate that I helped sell at Petitt Jean Swap meet last spring. Im hoping to start putting the "goodies" on it soon. I have an "Iandola" finned aluminum head that I want to use, a DU-4 mag setup that mounts the mag on the left side and allows me to keep my generator. , a nice U-J carb or Stromberg OF. But I may try my hand at rebuilding a "Air Friction" brand carb. I have lots of them and not many are being used, but they made a lot of them back in the day, so I feel like they were a popular carb, because they must have worked well. ??? Im also thinking of one of the cast iron dual exhaust manifolds even though they are a new repro part. The ads for them say "copy of a period accessory" Does anyone know the time period they were used or have a period ad for them ... Thanks for the interest, and now its time to go get organized,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 11:45 am:

Looking good, Donnie. Your OF is about done, just need to get it test run; it's been below zero here for a few days, no test runs until it gets to be at least 20 above.

The OF will run well but you would probably like the power from the U & J better. They really smoke for power compared to the OF. The claims of better fuel economy are a joke, tho. If you have a U & J you will be running hard all the time just to see how much power it has. However, you may or may not be able to fit it behind your generator -- it depends on which manifold you have. If you do decide to run the U & J (which I would) I have the reproductions of the original choke dash control. Mike Lebsack and I did them last year. It would look "so cool" on the dash and you need a way to hold the U & J on choke when you first start the engine cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

Stan, The OF is for my 27 Sport Touring so no real rush. It will be spring till I can really get to use it much. But I am anxious to get it .. :-) I saved the U&J for the speedster project. I should be able to send it to you soon. Just need to sell a few more E-Bay auctions. :-) and I also want to get the choke cable for it .. But I do want to try the Air Friction carbs "just because" Ill try and post a pic of my U&J intake later today. I hope it is the style to work with my generator. If not Ill be in the market to buy one or trade mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 03:25 pm:

I hope the Air Friction carbs work better than their hot air pipes. I tried one of those on my car once. They have some spiral vanes cast on the inside, and a little propeller thing. My car didn't run worth squat with it in stock form, so I removed the propeller. It was better, but still not right. So I took a die grinder and removed the spiral vanes, so all that was left was an open tube, just like Ford's except cast aluminum. Then the car ran fine.

The aluminum tube sure did look nice though, especially with an aluminum intake and brass carb. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 12:04 am:

I too enjoy the updates on your speedster. There are a lot of original era photos of that style, but few restored or intact surviving ones. I don't know why that is, other than the generic reason that most speedsters that managed to survive the scrap metal drives for WWII were sadly parted out in the '50s and early '60s. I think it is a great looking design.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 01:54 am:

The Air Friction was like all those carbs built for bad fuel. It needed the hot air intake to make best use of the features it had to burn low octane/half kerosene gasoline. I've tried a couple of them with today's fuel and in my experience they didn't run much different than the common T carbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Stan, I did not get a picture of my intake, but it will not work with a generator. The carb sits centered on the intake and hits the back of the generator. Do you have a pic of the other style U&J intake. ?? I assume it is somewhat dog legged" toward the rear or the neck is offset toward the rear. Next question. Lang's and others sell a S shaped intake down pipe, part# INTAKE2 that moves the carb to the rear and also down. Would the extra intake runner length affect the performance of the U&J carb (for better or worse). I can see the lower carb as a benefit because of gas flow from the gas tank being better, but I can also see possible icing problems .??? The flanges on the S shaped down pipe are oriented the same as the U&J, so linkages should remain somewhat the same . Last question, is does anyone have a intake to use the U&J that will work with the generator ... Thanks to all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

Would an "S" adapter put the carb too low?
https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.snydersantiqueaut o.com/s-adapter&ved=0ahUKEwj-u9Hsj7bJAhWhqXIKHX3aDoMQFggdMAE&usg=AFQjCNEBThHRypc zB2NTmSnQFpLGuzyCUw&sig2=8drspT2TPoR0AKTzDz-6xg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

Roger, I do not think the carb would be too low. The "Swan" brand intake from back in the day had a long runner S shaped neck, but they also were a combination intake/exhaust manifold. The added length of the intake runner may change something. I think it may have some of the function of a high rise 4 barrel intake or a tunnel ram on a modern car. But Im not sure how that would play out on the small model T intake. Here is a pic of the s-adapter. Any opinions anyone .???? (maybe a bad question from this opinionated bunch of guys :-) :-))

s

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration