Engine number 5793172, AACA winner, where sold?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Engine number 5793172, AACA winner, where sold?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

'22 Runabout engine number 5793172, 1968 AACA 1st place, 2007 AACA Senior 1st place and 2011 Preservation Award.
Is there a way that I could find out the dealer's name and where this T was originally sold and who originally bought it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 11:49 pm:

Unfortunately the chances are slim. The Benson Ford research center haven't got any dealer sales ledgers after very early 1915 and whatever documents the previous owners of the car may have had is most likely thrown away if it wasn't kept with the car.

About the only info we can find in the archives is the day the engine was assembled - march 27, 1922.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:07 am:

Jay,

While the Benson Ford Research Center will not be able to help you, there is a slim chance that you might be able to find some previous published articles about the car. And depending on what is shared in the article it might have information about when, where, and by whom the car was originally purchased. A few of the early 1960s restorations were done on very original cars that had a known history. [Today most owners would keep a very complete original car as found -- and just make it safe to drive etc.] But back then it was common to find a great original car and restore it. I did a spot check in the Mar-Apr 1968 "Vintage Ford" and there were two different articles about such cars being found and later restored. They sometimes include the engine number and where the car had previously been. And in some cases who the original owner was and where he purchased the car etc. Again, it is a long shot, but since you know the car was a 1968 AACA first place winner, you can easily obtain the name of the owner at that time. Then you can use the owner’s name to search for a restoration article about the car that might lead you to further clues. Perhaps even who the original owner was and where he purchased it. If you want to give it a try, I would start with the AACA club and request their help in running down information about the car and owner in 1968 and 2007. Cross checking the MTFCI and MTFCA to see if the owner may have been a member of one or both of those clubs will give you other locations to look for information.

Side note -- from Nov 1, 1921 to Mar 31, 1922 the Ford USA factory produced both two door valve cover engines and one door valve cover engines as they transitions to the newer one door cover. On Mar 27, 1922 of the 4184 engines produced, 3890 had the single valve cover and only 294 were produced that had the two door valve cover engine. Odds are 93% that you have a single door valve cover engine -- but if you happen to have the two valve cover engine, please let us know. That information is available in Bruce McCalley's (R.I.P.) excellent book "Model T Ford" page 526 as well as the CD digital set. The paperback book may be purchased from the club at: http://modeltstore.myshopify.com/products/model-t-ford-the-car-that-changed-the- world or you can order the CDs see details at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/333725.html?1357665853

Just a disclaimer concerning the date the numbers were entered in the engine log books -- in this case the March 27, 1922 entry. "IF" the engine was assembled at a location other than the main Ford engine shop, the serial number was included in that days log but the engine was not assembled and stamped with the serial number until a later date. Depending on the time frame, the main engine shop would have produced most or in some cases all of the engines of a given serial range. And at other times for example Nov 1919 page 522, of all the serial number entries in the engine log book, approximately 5,600 serial numbers (not engines) were sent to the Long Island Branch and 200 serial numbers were sent to Manchester England branch. Those numbers would have been stamped onto engine that were assembled at those locations. And most certainly it would have been later and not the same day the numbers were sent.

Finally -- Jay, please take a look at the right front floor board riser and let us know if you find a body number stamped into it. You may or may not find one. But if you do I would appreciate knowing what it reads.

Good luck with tracing the history of your car.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap 1915 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

My 22 has the original 2 piece valve covers also the one piece front limited edition spindles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

Many thanks to all for your helpful information.

Hap....the engine has 2 separate valve covers. I could not see a stamped number on the exposed portion on the passenger side wooden riser...however...most of the riser is hidden by the vinyl side panel...the side panel is secured by black mildly domed head tacks and I was afraid (Murphy's Law was lurking nearby and ready to grab me) to pull out the tacks to remove the panel to see the hidden portion of the riser.
I will follow up with the AACA in search of the T's history.

I am going to post another question...it is about tire rims.

Thanks again for all the info.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration