1914 John Brown Headlights

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1914 John Brown Headlights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Johnson on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

Were the John Brown model 16 headlights the same or
were there right-hand and left-hand versions ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

Some opened right hand and some left, like the ones on my car, but I can't say for sure if they were installed on all cars in pairs. Most likely some were and some weren't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

The assembly line workers didn't care which way they put them on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

My 14 has a left and a right. I don't know which way is correct. I put the hinges on the inside as I raked the back of my hand against the latch stud once and don't want to do that again.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 12:01 am:

I was thinking there was a difference in the orientation of the set screw that held the lamps to the forks also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 07:13 am:

My '14 has a left and a right also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 07:52 am:

My '14 Touring has "Ford Model 656 Made by E&J Detroit Mich" embossed in a triangle on top. Both lamps are the same. Hinge pins on the same side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:09 am:

The E&J lamps all came originally like the ones in Gary's picture. Brown headlamps were left and right handed originally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:17 am:

My '14 has left and right John Brown 16's. I use them on a regular basis, Prest-O-Lite, and each time you light up you have to open the headlight doors. Other than that, really doesn't matter if you don't use them.

Looking at Gary's E&J's in the photo above, I was referring to those as "rights". The headlight door clamp/nut being on the right side as you look at the lamp. If you're left handed, you know why.

Earlier this month:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/587335.html?1448034865

The John Brown and Victor headlights come in left and rights. There is a picture of a Victor "left" on page 166 of Bruce's Book.

Bruce also commented that the Corcoran headlights were a virtual copy of the Victor. Same company I guess.

Does anyone have a left and right set of Corcorans?

It seems that the E & J was the only manufacturer supplying Ford that came in "right" only.

Verne - the set screws in my set of Browns are at the same small angle away from the bucket. I do use the longer set screw on the inner prop next to the radiator.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:35 am:

I have five Corcoran headlamps, none on cars. Three are lefts and two are rights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 10:29 am:

Thank you RV,

It was just a curiosity question but that pretty well settles it. Black and Brass John Brown, Victor and Corcoran gas headlights came with left and right hinges.

E&J's came only with the hinge on the left as you look at the lamp.

The E&J bonnets have five slanted vents on each side. John Brown, Victor and Corcoran have four vertical vents on each side of the bonnets.

I guess I have been looking at too many old pictures.

Ken in Texas

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration