Somewhere overseas in a '27 roadster pickup

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Somewhere overseas in a '27 roadster pickup
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:42 am:

With really unusual wire wheels. Anyone know what kind of wheels we are looking at? One guy in the background has a pith helmet, the other one appears to have no clothing at all. Outback Oz maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Not Australia. British colony in Africa or Caribbean my guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 03:19 pm:

So 30 X 3-12/ tires. I think some kind of front brakes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

Similar oil gas water cans on tbay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ford-Model-T-Running-Board-Gas-Oil-Water-Cans-Ac cessory-/281864456732?hash=item41a06e4a1c:g:apcAAOSwT5tWPsbY&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

As Constantine noted, not Australia. Number plate does not ring any bells for me, nor the LHD. I thought South Africa was not LHD.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

The wheels look like ones used on same period Austin 7's, laced spoke clinchers.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Ritchie on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 07:14 pm:

If in Africa, it was possible to drive across borders in the early days with ease.
So I doubt whether the vehicle being LH or RH drive would make much difference.
The key would be the number plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

UMM !!Beaded edge on a 1926-7 T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 10:58 pm:

When I first looked I thought Austin.
But the Austin Seven had three bolt wheels. they could still be Austin, but something larger than a Seven.
Maybe it has a front axle from something else to get the brakes.
Could be a German license plate.
Picture could have been taken in any country. The car could have been shipped or driven there from anywhere else in the world.
It doesn't look like he's traveling the world though, in those days they usually had loads of rope, tents, and other emergency equipment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Ritchie on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 12:42 am:

If I had to guess, I'd say Africana South Africa.
I think we all agree that it is a Ford car around 1927 vintage and possibly delivered via a European colonial country.
Second guess would be Kenya or Rhodesia.
I don't think anybody in Africa was really worried about what side drive it was as long as they had transport...

Also may have been easier to buy a car from the nearest neighbouring African country Ford dealership rather than import one from the European homeland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 02:12 am:

"If in Africa, it was possible to drive across borders in the early days with ease."

I'm not sure that's true. The Wanderwell Ts were refused entry to Rhodesia in 1927:

"Rhodesian Border Crossing WAWEC denied entrance to Rhodesia, must go around!!!" see:

http://www.alohawanderwell.com/travels/

Maybe a "Purist" at the border didn't like their non-Ford bodies and/or disc wheels???

No German colonies in Africa after WW1, but it could be a French or Portuguese colony which would explain the LHD.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Victor Bloxsome on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 03:39 am:

The British CLYNO made in Wolverhampton used those same four stud bolt-on wires with non-detachable clincher rims as late as 1926 in Metric size 760 X 90 mm , which is close as darn-it to 30 X 3-1/2 inch .. although these latter may slip on the metric rims .
Clyno was in competition with Morris who also used possibly the same wheel supplier .
The first MG's wheels looked the same .

Victor Bloxsome 1919 Peel wide bodied roadster...1927 Pickup "UTE" ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 09:35 am:

Are those ford wood wheel hub caps in the centers?
Looks like the spare is mounted to the tailgate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

They are accessory Wire Wheels available in England and Australia, possibly Americas, possibly made in England. I had a pair. One of the famous Rajo Race cars here in Australia from the 1920s ran them. Stock t hubs fit snugly with hub caps and 6 bolt holes line up exactly. I used to have an add for one but can't find it. 30 x 3 1-2 inch rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

Last photo is the famous Ted King Rajo 1920s Racer from Australia in final form. My wheels are now with the remains of this car in Sydney. Current owner is one of our club members.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 05:25 pm:

Here is a race car possibly in South America with the same wire wheels. Thanks Royce, nice pic. looks Africa to me. Any clues where this photo was taken?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

Anybody got a towel for that guy on the right? (top photo)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration