High compression head-- what is it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: High compression head-- what is it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 10:03 am:

I have an opportunity to buy an Aluminum high compression head from a friend. We believe it came from Performance T- Parts in Dichinson TX. It looks just like a Z-Head to me but does not have a Z marking. It has the following identification cast on the head:" VTH 1000L 09-19 Made In USA "

Now to my question; what can anyone tell me about this type of head. Does it perform like a Z-Head? Compression ratio etc. Thanks, Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 10:15 am:

The Performance T Parts heads, made by Ralph Reeder, have a 4 where the Z head has a Z. I drove with one of those for thousands of miles, and they perform very similar to a Z head. I don't know anything about the VTH... markings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 10:29 am:

If it is one of Ralph's heads it will say REEDER inside the water passage where the water outlet bolts on.

Ralph's heads work great, I have one on my '15. The compression is about 5 1/2 to 1, about 25% above factory stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

Thanks Ralph and Mike for the info. I just came in from the shop and yes, it in fact does have REEDER inside the inlet. So good. I will put it on my '26 roadster that I'm restoring this winter. I do have Z-heads on both my '15 speedster and '15 touring which I am happy with so this REEDER head should be just fine. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

Check the head before you use it a while back I had one on my 1912 and the aluminum was not good it was a bad batch, leaked water into the pistons, turn it upside down plug the plug holes and fill chambers with paint reducer and see just to make sure before installing, Bob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration