Wheels and Axles

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wheels and Axles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 04:33 pm:

I bought my '22 roadster back in 1986 from an old farmer in Luling, Texas. The farmer owned a machine shop and told me that he had assembled the car mostly from three Model T's, ('21, '22 and '23), and that he did all of the restoration and machine work himself except for painting and upholstery. For the most part I think he did a pretty good job, however over the years I have discovered problems and been fixing them.

After nearly 30 years I decided that the wheel spokes needed tightening. After removing the wheels it appeared that most of the spokes were loose at both ends (felt much worse than while on the car). I sent all four wheels to a wheelwright for rebuilding (new wood spokes and steel felloe restoration).

At this point I have two questions:

The right front felloe and wheel rim look just like the other three except that the valve stem holes are in the wrong place relative to the four wheel lugs. The wheelwright wanted to replace this felloe with a correct used one and I have agreed to that. In order to remount it on my car, I must use a different wheel rim (with the correct hole placement). The existing spare tire rim has this same problem. I would like to drill new holes in both rims and weld patches in the old holes. Has anyone done this and have there been any problems?

I also decided to get new rear axle keys and had Lang's send me a pair. They are 4 inches long while the old ones are 3-5/16 inches long. The old short keys nest perfectly in the axles but there is no way that the new ones will fit unless I shorten them. Right now I plan to use the old keys (as they look and feel fine) but am curious if anyone else has experienced this?

Thanks for your help.

Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

The rear axle keys I have had to cut down before. I can't help you on the wheel issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 05:09 pm:

Robert,

Most likely they were Chevy felloes and rims. I will post a couple of photos in a little bit.

You can weld up the hole in the rim and drill the new valve stem hole in the correct location. (Brazing would work also.) If you don't have a welder, one of the local folks near you probably does and would be glad to help you out.

Note a lot of folks do not discover this "mixed" wheel situation until they have a flat and find out the spare will not fit all the wheels etc.

That can also happen with original Ford supplied wheels. Some of those rims do not fit properly/safely on some of the other felloes.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

Robert,

Below are some photos from the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/39258.html that discusses the same question about Chevy style vs Ford style 30 x 3 1/2 clincher felloes and rims.

Note it turns out that Hayes made the same size wheel & Rim for both Ford and Chevy but the valve stem was located differently.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 04:35 am:

Robert, Hap is spot on from everything I have read. I would suggest that before you start welding up things, look for the correct ones. They aren't that hard to find. Besides, there may be a Chevy enthusiast out there that would like to have some original parts. Maybe even have some Ford parts to trade. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 06:22 am:

Don,

Thanks for your suggestion for cutting the keys down. The old keys look good and fit nicely in the axles. If the don't fit as well in the hubs, when I get them back I'll do what you suggested.

Hap,

I can not thank you enough your the clear and well illustrated information. Several years ago when mounting new tires I discovered this problem. I noticed then that the Ford rim fit fine on the 'Chevy' felloe (except for the valve stem hole) and that both rims were marked Hayes. If I need to cut a rim lug I'm going to find another rim. I might cut a lug on the spare tire rim though.
Chickasha can not come soon enough.

David,

Thanks for your input. I agree that it would be best to find another.

Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

Stem hole placement and one open lug are not the only differences between Ford and Chevrolet rims. They're also different widths. A Ford rim is 27/8" wide. A Chevy rim is 3". The space where the tire fits is 2" on a Ford rim and 23/8" for Chevrolet.
Both of the rims I measured are made by Hayes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

Thanks Steve,

I'm not near the car now but hope to be in a few days and I'll measure the rims then. I don't yet know when the wheels will be ready so I'll be patiently waiting to fit them.

If they fit OK I'll be inclined to keep using them after the mods. The car handles well now and I have never had a flat. I am using tubes that are at least 35 years old without flaps.

Robert

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration