Watts Clutch?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Watts Clutch?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 06:26 pm:

In a previous thread, there is mention that the Watts clutch (Lang's part number TH400 according to a post by Roger Karlsson) is produced by R.V. Anderson.

Lang's site rejects the part number and a search for "Watts clutch" produces nothing.

Where can the clutch pack and extra strength spring be purchased? Or, is it out of production?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

John, they are out of production , I think R V is working on a replacement, the th400 are not Watts clutch's.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

Someone- please say that Rick is wrong!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

I don't think Langs sold the Watts, only the Turbo 400, Snyders list the Watts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 07:06 pm:

My information last year was someone was trying to improve an already perfect design and product. We have been using Watts clutches in model t's for nearly 30 years with no failures.

I installed a used Watts clutch in my barn fresh 1912 and have driven it nearly 1000 miles and it performs far better than the inferior hydromatic clutch pack being sold as a less than satisfactory replacement. I did install one of these hydro clutches in my 1912 Torpedo and was completely dissatisfied it had almost no release in neutral and you could hardly push the Torpedo around, unlike the original Watts design.

I really tried to purchase and communicate with the guy that purchased the Watts product ,he never bothered to respond so I never got an answer or any interest in selling one to me,I lost interest in him or his product, found a used Watts and been touring ever since.

The story I got was he was trying to improve and was testing different types of lining. If it ain't broke don't try and fix it as far as I'm concerned.30 years of proven performance is good enough for me.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

RV monitors the forum, perhaps he'll give us an update? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

Ford-N-More has a few Watts clutch packs in inventory try them on Monday 1-800-327-1469

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

BCG -- The reason RV is trying to find a different material for the Watts clutch is that the older material is no longer available. A couple of years ago RV bought the Watts business from the guy who originally made them. I have bought and used some of them from RV and they work just like the old ones did. He offers them as a kit, with the stronger spring and a machined push ring. You need to send him a core push ring or machine your own and ask him to delete that part from the kit. Or buy one from Ford-N-More. They're nice folks to deal with too.

Here's RV's email: rvmodelt@netsync.net

(Message edited by coupelet on November 28, 2015)

(Message edited by coupelet on November 28, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

Question, what is machined on the push ring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 02:27 am:

Frank, the dovel pins are shortened slightly since the clutch pack gets thicker with the Watts discs in it.

John, I can't find any post by searching where I've mentioned "TH400" in combination with Watts and Lang's? The TH400 is another type of clutch with lined discs that replaces the small discs in the Ford clutch pack, while the Watts clutch replaces the large Ford discs with a softer material - and thus reduces the wear on the brake drum lugs together with a freer neutral.
The Watts clutch is great for standard Fords - but with a modified stronger engine it may slip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 11:11 am:

Frank -- The 3 pins on the push ring need to be shortened by 3/32". I don't know what the metric equivalent would be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 03:07 pm:

Thanks for the info, you know I've fitted many Watts clutch packs and never found the push ring an issue, set OK to Ford specs and all working well and still are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

Mike is correct. I am now making the Watts style clutch exactly as the original Watts but using different material. He is also correct in that I am selling it as a drop-in kit with no machining required by the end user.

BCG, I don't know who this person is that you refer to but I will assume from your context that it was myself. I will assure you and everyone reading this thread that I always DO "bother" to respond to every email received and phone message left just as soon as I am able. Usually it is within an hour of its reception or the next morning at the latest. However, I am not always able to reply right away due to many factors. Sometimes I don't receive emails because of my or the sender's ISP having issues. As to phone messages, sometimes I can't make heads or tails of what is said due to poor cell connection. Sometimes the caller has a heavy accent. Sometimes I am away and the machine fills up; the last caller is cut off before he can leave his number. This is especially true during political campaign season. If, as you imply, you made "multiple" attempts to contact me, I am unaware of it. If you have decided that you have "lost interest in (me) or (my) product" because of some issue outside of my control, I am truly sorry but I suspect that I will get over it.

Again Mike is correct that the original Watts material was/is unavailable, or more correctly it was available at a cost that would put the retail price of the original style Watts up north of $400. So I was testing a new friction material before releasing the clutch and that took some time.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration