Newbie question about 30 x 3-1/2 rims.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Newbie question about 30 x 3-1/2 rims.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

I am asking for help in identifying the type of rims on my '22 Runabout.
I assume the rims are 30 x 3-1/2 because the tires are marked accordingly.

I have a reprinted parts list dated August 5 1928 and an original parts list dated June 1 1922.
The 1922 parts list does not show pictures of rims rather part numbers...so it is not helpful for me.

The 1928 list shows a cross section of 2845C rim, which is identical to the rim on my T.
Each rim has 4 slits and 1 ear lug which is located near the tire valve stem hole. The ear lug also has a u-shaped open slot.
2846-B rim clamps are also used.

Seems this combination misleads my comprehension about the information printed in the 1928 parts list, unless the illustrations and footnotes in the 1928 parts list are possibly incorrect.

Not to brag, but the '22 Runabout was a 1968 AACA 1st place, 2007 AACA Senior 1st place and 2011 AACA Preservation Award....so I am thinking that the rim and clamp combinations described above are correct....but...I am new and don't know much about the T other than loving it.

Can anyone please un-confuse me.
Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

Sounds like you have Kelsey rims, do the felloes of your wheels have a raised section in four places for the clamps to bear onto? Here's what the MTFCA encyclopedia has to say about what wheels were available when:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/U-Z.htm#wheels

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Jay, what you have is typical of the wheel equipment supplied on our Canadian sourced cars. The U shaped lug goes over one of the rim bolts to prevent it slipping around the felloe if the bolts get loose.

If your car is of Canadian manufacture, it is likely you will find Robertson screws used in its manufacture. They will have a square hole in the head.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

Jay,

Actually the rims and felloes can be a little confusing. Why? Because just about any 30 x 3 1/2 inch clincher rim will fit onto just about any 30 x 3 1/2 inch felloe (the part of the wheel the rim bolts to). And Ford used 5 different types of the 30 x 3 1/2 demountable wheels manufactured by several different wheel makers. And other manufactures used similar size demountable wheels, and after market manufactures made accessory demountable wheels the same size.

But you mentioned that your rims and felloes have slots. In that case it should be a Kelsey supplied loose lug wheel as they are the only ones that Ford used that had the slots in the rims and the felloes.

From the Jan 1924 "Ford Service Bulletin" Ford had the following rims shown:

And below is from the May 15, 1920 "Ford Service Bulletin" and it shows a Kelsey rim and felloe:

Ron Grigsby posted some good photos of his Kelsey wheels, rims, and loose lugs at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/33266.html .

In general if you are able to post some photos of what you have it will be easier and quicker to answer the question(s). For posting photos the file need to be smaller than 200kb (you may be able to go a little larger -- but for sure around 196kb or less works well for me.) If you haven't figured that one out -- it seems hard until you do it and then it is easy. But in the mean time if you would like some help posting, please send me or some of the other folks on the forum your photos and we can try to help and post them. You can click on my name at the beginning of the post and it brings up my profile. My e-mail address is the third line down. Please limit any single e-mail to less than 10mb so it will get through. Also please put Model T Ford in the subject and it will be read much sooner. For me I'm off net for the rest of the night but the folks on the left coast are a few hours behind us.

And the real desire is to make sure your combination of felloe, rim, and lugs are safe (some of the lose lug rims can be mounted on the other felloes but the rim rotates and cuts the valve stem). And also that your spare rim will fit all your wheels.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration