6V & coils only.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 6V & coils only.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

With no magneto on my '21, will it run OK on just coils and a 6 Volt system?
The wiring is in good condition and the car never goes far out of town.
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Rob

This may help http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/572321.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

No worries Rob. I chucked a magnet screw and clamp some 100k east of Kalgoorlie, and took the magneto coilplate out. We drove the rest of the way up to Geraldton, down to Perth and then Albany, before heading all the way home. The car has done a lot more miles since. The magneto will be fixed now we are replacing a broken crankshaft.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

I have the same set-up. There are no magnets on my flywheel. I've run the car this way since about 1998. For a while I ran on 2 ea. 6V batteries in series but then went to 1 ea. 6V and it runs just fine. I figured...why mess with two batteries when one will work? I'm running the small 6V batteries that are built for the kids sidewalk cars. I try to charge the battery before each days tour. I did a 160 mile tour with one battery earlier this fall. Standard Model T coils, set up on a HCCT. I'm not sure if any of them have a new condensers. Original Ford timer that has been trued up in a lathe. Ford script roller. We probably run a thousand miles a year this way.
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

I have always heard that if the coils are adjusted right the car will run just as well on 6 volt battery as on mag.
I have driven a couple of early Fords a long ways before I realized I had forgotten to turn to "MAG".
They ran just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 12:29 am:

Mine runs fine on 6v. I can tell the difference between running on 6v and magneto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 01:16 am:

Gentlemen,
Thank you for answering, its much appreciated.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 09:36 am:

Rob
This may help.
More on Model T Ford Spark Timing
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 09:46 am:

I have built three speedsters all without mag. All run great. I built one to run coils on 12v, the rest of the car on 6v.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

As I do not have a magneto in my 1926 tourer, I have always used 6V to power the coils, with excellent results. I regularly drive it at 75km/h on the freeway. At times I can get it over 80 but don't want to break something.

The key to successful 6V operation is setting everything up the right way and using the right parts. Randomly adjusted non rebuilt coils, a roller timer full of contact bounce, weak spark plugs, and incorrect ignition timing are all things that give 6v and coils a bad name.

speed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

Again,
Thank You all.
Rob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration